Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic gland

Lawless ยท 2015-01-27 17:55

Anybody ever use a pipe wrench on them? I got one that won't come off and local shop wants $250 to replace the shaft seals, with me supplying the seals. Thinking for that price, I could afford to try it with a pipe wrench. Any thoughts?

Replies8
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-01-27 18:02

    Or a chain wrench. Later Bob

  2. #2Ronsii2015-01-27 20:00

    I've seen pipe wrench marks on quite a few.

  3. #3alrman2015-01-27 20:50

    Re; dealing with tight glands - You will find this very interesting reading + It Works! - :notworthy Another 10K Superwillie59 happy customer :notworthy

  4. #4Lawless2015-01-28 01:00

    Thanks for the link alrman. I'll try that and see if it works.

  5. #5Lawless2015-01-28 02:26

    Yep. That worked! Still had to use a pipe wrench and a 3 ft pipe but it came off! Thanks all!

  6. #6willie592015-01-28 19:52

    Works 99% of the time I've tried it. If that don't take it loose, it's going to the Cat hydraulic shop. :yup

  7. #7Lawless2015-01-28 22:19

    Willie59, thank you for the advise. I was almost ready to fire the torch up and heat it up but figured I'd start a thread asking. Glad I did as I really didn't wanna take heat to it.

  8. #8willie592015-01-28 22:23

    Nor do I Lawless, nor do I.