Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Help

R Glover ยท 2009-02-01 20:45

I had a hydraulic line blow on my Cat Friday, put on a new one Saturday. My problem is hydraulic fluid got on everything. I tried to wash off with my power washer. That did'nt seem to do a lotta good. Does anyone know what to use to cut this stuff? It's like walking on ice to check the oil. I must of lost 12 gallons of fluid in less than a minute. Thanks, Rube

Replies16
  1. #1shane2009-02-01 22:17

    No heated power washer? Hot water always worked for me. dunno-If I only had cold water available, I might go to Wally-World and get a couple of gallons of that concentrated citrus stuff and a pump-up sprayer. If I needed hot water and didn't have it, I'd look around for one of those mobile car detail guys with a trailer of car-wash goodies. Water tank, generator, compressor, hot water pressure washer, etc. Most of them put away in the winter, but if I look on craigslist I still see some who are hungry and willing to roll. Just a thought.

  2. #2swampdog2009-02-01 22:40

    The soap idea, with either cold or hot water, sounds good. Does your pressure washer have a soap injection feature? If not, take some liquid dish detergent (a good one, like Sunlight) and work that into the oil residue with a broom or a brush. Then hit it with the pressure washer. You could also try something like Marine Clean, sold by POR 15 dealers.

  3. #3dayexco2009-02-01 22:48

    go to dollar store, by 2 gals of awesome, mix w/2 gals water in a weed sprayer, apply, let sit for about 4-5 mins...pressure wash it off. slicker'n snot on a door knob

  4. #4Super Steve2009-02-01 22:55

    maybe some engine degreaser... or simple green

  5. #5DarrylMueller2009-02-01 23:37

    Oil eater, or Purple power works real good. Be careful and don't let it on to long. Do parts your excavator so it doesn't fade the paint.

  6. #6ddigger2009-02-02 00:17

    My bulk oil distributer (cheveron products) sells a product in a 5 gal pail simply called detergent, although it is a lite petrolem product I believe. I just apply it full strength with a weed type sprayer let sit for a few minutes and rinse off with my cold water, presure washer and the grease and oil just melts away. Check with your supplier maybe he will know what it is. good luck.

  7. #7R Glover2009-02-02 10:26

    Thanks for the responses, I knew ya'll would have good advice. I guess this happens to everyone sooner or later. Thanks again. Rube

  8. #8360joe2009-02-02 11:57

    Leave it I would be reluctant to put a power washer anywhere near your CAT. In general, I think people do alot more harm than good with them. You risk blowing water and detergent into places that it shouldn't go. I would rather mop up what I could with newspaper and leave it at that.

  9. #9ddigger2009-02-02 12:37

    Now that its light I went to the shop heres the name and # for that product I mentioned. You could call and see if they have a distributer in your area, you wont be disapointed. NETCHEM DETERGENT A Ashland Chemical Co Colombus Ohio 1 800 274 5263

  10. #10dayexco2009-02-02 15:46

    i've got a great hot/high pressure washer, and good detergents...i just wish there was a spray on product that took off that last "road film" without hand scrubbing, or discoloring paint.

  11. #11hammer662009-02-03 17:17

    i would suggest a case of breakcleaner

  12. #12pinesd34002009-02-12 06:51

    Im a newbie I got here by accident wonderful site. Ok try this: everything I own I did this. Local hardware store will have that black I think (sump pump) drain hose that kinky plastic stuff. I slit it and put it on all my hoses with wire ties. I like my things waxed and washed so when I lost a bucket hose on my 755 Ford all over glass soaked and this happens in a slit second. So I covered them, lost another hose on the hoe, and the oil is atleast contained not causing a big mess. I found the #1 killer is hoses being sun baked. Just did the excavator , it protects and really looks nice black & shinny, and real cheap like 10 bucks for 25 or so feet. sam

  13. #13R Glover2009-02-12 08:40

    Pinesd, Thats a great idea, never thunk of that. I will get some of that hose and give that a try. Thanks, Rube

  14. #14Clayton M2009-02-18 16:43

    Starting Fluid!

  15. #15Iron Horse2009-02-18 17:44

    Iveco truck wash , it's the best i have ever used . I have just done the same thing , hydraulic oil everywhere . Just sprayed it on with a weed sprayer and hosed off . Clean as a whistle , it also removes road grime that you normally need to rub with a sponge . Any truck accessories outlet will have it .

  16. #16ellrod2009-02-18 19:25

    The Dollar store stuff works real good but if you are not real fond of the paint you can use greased lightning Trick with it is do a small area and get it off fast with presure washer. Anywhere greased lightning is left on or the residue is left you have a streak in the paint. It will cut stuff that purple power won't touch but purple power is about 1/2 as hard on paint.