Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic hose

Spangles ยท 2013-02-07 19:13

How often do you change yours? Is it a game of wait till one pops and gets changed or you change it after x amount of hours? Many thanks for the input

Replies5
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-02-07 23:01

    I have seen hoses that are weathered/cracked/leaking out last brand new hoses. At work, if it looks like it has a issue change it. We try to keep a good check on hoses but like said new hoses blow also. Some say 5yrs/10yrs, depending on use and temps. Then there is the hose OEM spec life. For most it's as needed.

  2. #2ScottAR2013-02-08 01:10

    For me, there's not a set time limit but more of a visual inspection. If they have the webbing showing then it's a matter of time. Usually they seep some first at which point they are changed. Recently, I repacked a couple cylinders/rams and they had ratty looking hoses. No better time to change them as I had it apart anyway. Otherwise it's run to destruction.

  3. #3rsherril2013-02-08 07:07

    I just replaced three of four blade pitch hoses. One was weeping, two others looking rough. Total cost eighty bucks, no down time.

  4. #4Spangles2013-02-08 21:14

    I've had two hoses go bust a week apart from each other. Hoses have never been changed from new. 5k hrs on the machine. Perhaps I should have all the old ones changed instead of waiting for each one to pop. What I find strange is that there's been no weeping on either before it went kapout.

  5. #5Tony Price2013-02-09 14:12

    Try this site for helpful information on preventative maintenance and some insight: MOD EDIT