Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydraulic hose clamp

chuck172 ยท 2016-08-20 11:25

I have an old ford 4500. I know I should replace all the hoses, but I can't afford it. I really don't use the bh much, just when I really need it. Problem is I just replaced one short loader hose and it was a mess. Hydraulic fluid all over the place. I have other hoses that are about to go. I can see where the rubber is worn off and the steel webbing is showing. Can I put some sort of band-aid type of clamp over the worn spots? If a hose blows, is there anyway to jury rig some type of coupling over it?

Replies3
  1. #1Scrub Puller2016-08-20 11:50

    Yair . . . chuck172 Not really, if a hose blows it must be replaced with new. I understand your problem and, while not ideal, steel braid showing is not necessarily a problem on a machine used occasionally. If any hoses are actually rubbing that's another thing again and needs to be fixed . . . don't flex old hoses any more than necessary if you have to adjust/reposition as they get set in their ways. Cheers.

  2. #2gtermini2016-08-20 11:56

    Not a band-aid, but these can be made up without a press and the ends reused. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Field_Attachable_Reusable_Hose_Fittings_s/75.htm They can be picked up pretty reasonably on ebay too http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...draulic.TRS0&_nkw=reusable+hydraulic&_sacat=0 I have also bought pallets of new hoses at auctions for $20 or less. Mostly for digging through and praying to find something close to get back up running in a hurry. Greyson

  3. #3x-ray2016-08-20 13:33

    Hmm, you would just be shorting yourself, your time must be worth something to ya. While I understand you don't want to get nickel and dime'd to death, it would be better to just get some adapter fittings and then just buy some cheaper standard length hoses. IE (SAE O-ring to JIC or NPT) then it doesn't cost as much down the road replacing hoses. IMO those reusable fittings are only good to about a little over 2000psi which is a no go in most backhoes, however, I don't know what the max PSI for a Ford4500 is. Most hoses once the jacket is that far gone (other than an obvious rub point) are most likely gonna blow right above where you make that patch anyway..