who makes the best one? looking for the one that crimps the ferrals so I can just use my fittings over again.
I'm not sure I know what your looking for, all the crimp machines I know of once the fitting is crimped you can't crimp them the second time after using the hose.
I've seen that done, where the ferrule is a separate part from the stem, cut the ferrule with a die grinder, pop it off, pull the stem and reuse it. Takes more time and trouble than it's worth in my opinion, but to each his own. I don't recall which brands were that way, most of them around here use a one piece fitting.
The only system that I can think of that has reusable fittings is the old CAT XT3 and XT5 systems. They were a 2 piece press together, not a crimp type. In the day that was the best system going. Now you hardly see it in. It was a long drawn out process to take the old fitting apart, RE-SIZE it and put back together again. No such thing as a five min hose. I have used the gates system in the past, they had the separate nipple and ferrule. You could cut the ferrule off and reuse the nipple in an emergency but not recommended. When you crimp a hose together, especially on the higher pressure hoses, everything gets squeezed. The nipple will shrink as the ferrule and hose are squeezed. The last thing you do after you crimp is to verify that the crimp diameter is within spec. By reusing a nipple, your specs will not be the same and there is a possibility that the fitting will blow apart. For the price of the fittings, and the price of the down time and lost oil from a hose malfunction, I would just go with all new parts. As for which one is best. That is kind of like asking which is better, Ford, Chev or Dodge. Everyone has their own favorite. My favorite is the Parker system, something like this http://ph.parker.com/us/en/parkrimp...p-to-2-id-4-6-wire-spiral-hose-parkrimp-2-1-1 I have also used several Gates systems and Pulsar, and a few other brands that I can not remember, they all work good. I don't like the ones that you need to dial in the setting for the crimp diameter, it leaves a place for error. I used the wrong chart one time by mistake (not good!!!)
Gates used a separate aluminum ferrul a while back don't know if that is what you are asking about? These things are SYSTEMS, unless you and everyone using the machine is going to look up crimp specs and use a caliper for every hose you need to decide what you want to use and stick with it. A lot of your dealers will LOAN you a machine with a decent startup inventory usually equal to the price of the machine....TIO
I'd forgotten all about those two piece setups, its been so many years since I've seen one, the last time I ever had those made, two hose assemblies blew off for me in the same day, and it was for the same application, neither lasted even five minutes. I then replaced them with parker fittings and hose's and they are still on the machine today in service. The other problem with those is the overall diameter is much larger than any other type fitting, and you can't use them in most places a single crimp hose like a parker fitting came off of. If I recall the fitting is also slightly longer as well. Buy a single crimp system and be done with it is my opinion, but before you do, make sure you can find a supplier that has the fitting ends YOU need and use, at a price that's competitive. I ended up with a Dayco machine, due to fittings I needed and a supplier that was great at the time I bought it, gates didn't have what I needed for ends and the supplier wasn't helpful or speedy in any way and parker was four times higher priced and that supplier was difficult to get along with to say the least. There are a lot of crimp machines out there to buy or try, you just need to shop around some to find them, the age, size capability's, wire hose size and ends you can get are so diverse its not funny, it just depends on your needs and how much inventory you want on hand and how often you plan on using it.
I have a Karry Krimp FRom Parker and enerpac that works. I just don't use it enough. I would be interested in selling it. Josh
Will that do up to -20 two wire, as the chart seems to indicate? Nice setup.
well just today blew another hose on my hitachi 225, guy that did it just used a cutting wheel and split the crimp apart,pulled the fittings of the old hose, cut new hose,then put gates feral over it and recrimped, this is the about 6th one and some have been on for over two years, no problems yet.he used a gates crimper,any body know anything about a eaton aeroquip procrimp 1380, just had one dropped of today.
Ah, well OEM metric fittings are often the exception to the rule because they're hard to find and usually expensive, but you have to remember that at that point, there is most likely NO SPEC for the crimp as the stem will be of Japanese manufacture and the ferrule will not. You have to wing it and while I have had it done successfully it takes experience to get it right every time. YMMV :my2c
In 25 years I've never had a 2 piece Gates fitting that was properly installed blow off. I've carefully cut many one piece fittings apart and reused them with a gates ferrule. It takes a little longer (10 minutes) but is a lot faster than a trip to the dealer and it works after hours.
I don't doubt it at all... but the key phrase in your post was "properly installed"
Gates hose, gates fittings, gates Ferrells , gates crimper ... No problems. As stated each brand is a system.