Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic hose types?

Speedpup ยท 2009-05-30 21:55

In review I guess should have said materials instead of types. I have seen the steel braided hoses and this stuff that came on my Lulls years ago called synflex i think. It was never really great in my opinion but I guess it wasn't that bad as some on my machines is from 1985 I recently had a hose replaced and they seemed to give me something similar to the synflex stuff from years ago which i thought they canned. What is better and or newer materials now available? Does cost vary much in different materials? I need a big bunch of hoses soon on three machines. Thanks for your input!:drinkup

Replies4
  1. #1willie592009-05-30 22:13

    The primary purpose of Synflex hose is that it's non-conductive. Synflex, or equivalent, is used on machines like electric bucket trucks that have an insulated boom. They require a non-conductive hose in these applications. Synflex type hoses can also be molded to make a flat hose assembly where hoses are joined at the edges. Versalift VST bucket trucks have a flat hose assy like this inside the telescoping boom that has 5 hoses joined together. These hoses were also used by mfg's like Lull inside the telescoping sections where the hoses go over pulley sheaves. They do work very well in these applications. But the nylon braided hoses, like synflex, can't replace steel braided rubber hose when it comes to pressure or kinking situations. They are good hose assemblies, but they should be used for specific applications and pressures. When you need tough or high pressure, and you don't require non-conductive, go with steel braided rubber hoses. If your replacing those hoses that go in the telescope section with the sheaves, go with the nylon braid Synflex type hose. The constand bending over the sheaves is tough on the steel braid hoses compared to nylon braid, and the nylon braid is happy with the tensioner that keeps them taught on the sheaves without twisting. Just a few thoughts.

  2. #2Speedpup2009-05-31 06:29

    Thanks Paul :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup I thought the did it to save money. I'll have to look and see what they are using now. I know I was replacing the ones in the boom in pairs so the length matched. Is the synflex usually cheaper?

  3. #3willie592009-05-31 09:45

    I can't remember the cost comparison between Synflex and steel braid rubber hoses. A number of Lulls that I've worked on had a nylon sheave on each side of the telescope cylinder to deliver oil to the fork tilt and fork leveling cylinders, total of 4 hoses, two on each side of the tele cylinder. If the sheave has a divider ridge in the center of it, you would use individual hoses of matched length. If the sheave has a wide/flat surface, you would use what is commonly called twin-line hose, which is a molded assy of two hoses joined together. Not sure if your machines are like this, I've just worked on some Lulls that are.

  4. #4Speedpup2009-05-31 10:43

    Sheave has the divider in the center. Parts book showed sheave in reverse of flipped from where the way they should be. This moves the hose outward slightly where it rubs on the boom only when retracted fully. So after replacing the hoses three times on a machine that is a year old in less than 10 days in 10-30 degree weather I was PO'ed. So I call the factory and they said we have no idea:beatsme . Run over to my other job and look at the other machine and I saw the problem . Call the factory guy back and then he tells me Oh yea the book is wrong:Banghead:Banghead So after the machine being out7+ years they never changed the book and knew the problem. It was still under warranty but I didn't by it from the local dealer due to 10,000 dollar price difference in 1986.