Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Leak 580B

tloft ยท 2013-04-19 11:58

Was having difficulty with the hoe and experiencing jerky movement in the bucket and remembered Airman writing that there could be a leak on the hydraulic low pressure side causing air to be sucked in resulting in a jerky situation. I found the leak yesterday in a low pressure hose on one of the the loader cylinders - am now having difficulty in breaking the leaky hose connection inside the frame of my hoe. I'm now thinking about using half inch drive, 1 inch crowfoot - unless someone can suggest a better way?? also .. does anyone have the part # for that particular hose

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2013-04-20 02:01

    Couple of thoughts tloft. 1) all the hoses after the pump are pressurized. But if it's leaking it definitely needs doing. 2) if it won't undo with 2 spanners on it, a crowsfoot won't do it. If you can tap the nut using two hammers, using one as a dolly, it may help. 3) the hose still looks original, if so it will have part number stamped on the crimp.

  2. #2Juskatla2013-04-20 13:30

    The hoses are pretty standard. On my CK, the Parts numbers and lengths for all hoses are shown in the back of the manual. Any decent hydraulic shop should be able to make them up for you. I did all four when I discovered one just like yours in the photo For all the hoses and fittings on the CK, Case has a couple of good crowsfoot wrenches made by OTC if IRC. They work better than all the other stuff in my toolbox and are worth the money. My manual had pictures and part numbers for these. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near the manuals right now but the dealer should be able to help. One a couple of mine, I used a bit of heat to help break the fittings loose. Be careful, and use a wet rag on the hose part to keep from having a burn down. Have fun! Jess

  3. #3tloft2013-04-20 15:19

    airman, your input is most appreciated - Yes .. definitely leaking - after using the hoe and after feeling the jerking I described, I shut it off and walked around it and found a puddle of oil on the ground under the hose (maybe 200 ml) - so, do you think I simply ran low on fluid? .. because I had fluid in the reservoir all the way up to the plug on the frame a day before I used the hoe .. if so, do you think I have air in the lines now .. and need to bleed everything after replacing the hose?? (this sounds pretty intense) Another thing .. I was able get the hose off, but not with the two hammer trick (the whole top of the flare nut was painted) and hardly moveable .. I loosened the rigid tube from its clamp and gingerly lifted and twisted until I had enough room for two wrenches - it came loose straight away.

  4. #4tloft2013-04-20 15:24

    Thanks for that info Jess - I was able to find the part #19 on the diagram, and will call my case dealer in Wilmington DE to get a price .. and pick up if it's not too much money .. if otherwise I will shop around.

  5. #5alrman2013-04-20 18:10

    After you replace the hose, ( I hope the bucket is on the ground!) There is no need to bleed any air out, just cycle the lift to max height & then lower it - it will sort itself out. The oil maybe low if the hose was leaking for a while. I think what looks like a fuel line needs some replacing as well!

  6. #6sr-oz2013-04-20 20:40

    Just went down the back and had a look at my 580b. That fuel line may actually be his fuel shutoff cable going to the pump so should be fine, be better to wrap it though.

  7. #7tloft2013-04-20 21:26

    That's a relief airman - yes the bucket is on the ground .. and yes, as sr-oz stated, it is the rubber shield over the metal shielded shut-off cable.