Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic lines – tips on set-up to do on my own

mx_599 · 2025-07-16 18:18

Hey there everyone, I am just a hobbyist/enthusiast with a number vintage equipment for restoration and some newer things. I have numerous hydraulic hoses that need to be replaced. I need too many to pay someone to do. It really appears to be better venture to get set-up to make my own. I am aware of the crimpers out there. BUT, my main question is, am I going crazy or had I seen people use a typical hydraulic shop press and the correct dies and ram and do it themselves? I thought I saw this was a thing but I am having a hard time finding the die and ram that could go in a hydraulic press. Or should they all be able to be put into a press more or less? There can be considerable cost savings if I can make use of my press my goal is to get a handful of common die sizes that would likely cover the gamut Regarding different standards of fittings, regardless of the mix of machinery I have, isn't it possible to slowly convert the machines over to say one standard in my fleet? Like all Parker or gates or weatherhead or whatever (not sure I have those names correct)? Any and all leads or advice much appreciated

Replies27
  1. #1davo7272025-07-16 18:52

    I should have bought a hose crimper before I paid to have 5 zillion dollars of new hoses made at the local hyd shop for my old backhoe.

  2. #2mx_5992025-07-16 19:26

    I am trying to figure this stuff out. One machine I have is Snorkel TB60 aerial lift. Needs ton of hoses I have figured out many sizes are JIC -4 -6 and -8 and -10 ( I guess this correlates to 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 and 5/8") and Parker brand. I see some reasonable priced crimpers but they have to be China type stuff for the price, about $500 including dies The good ones look more like $3000 or more with that being said, it appears you can get high end used dies and ram for about $500 if you can use a typical shop press. Do you guys think dies are not something that one should get used? I see a whole set of used Weatherhead dies on ebay of different sizes for about 100 dollars each. I see a ram for a couple hundred. Here is and example of links: Ram T400 WEATHERHEAD HYDRAULIC HOSE CRIMPER PUSHER T-432-15 HOSE PUSHER RAM NEW | eBay WEATHERHEAD T400 PUSHER / T-432-15. www.ebay.com Die Pardon Our Interruption...

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-07-16 22:42

    You want a proper crimper with common dies for popular fittings. Proper crimp pressure is very important. Most of the better crimpers have gauges to tell if the crimp is proper or they have measurements for the different sizes. Also remember that hydraulic hose has a shelf life. I think 2 years for most hose. That's why sometimes it's better to get hoses made by a busy shop. You should also have a special blade for cutting the hose and a gun to shoot foam projectiles through the finished hose assemblies. Good hydraulic hose shops will have these.

  4. #4mx_5992025-07-16 23:13

    what are the foam projectiles?

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-07-16 23:23

    Better hydraulic shops blow them through the hose to clean any debris out. Some people blow varsol through finished hoses.

  6. #6Coaldust2025-07-16 23:48

    Something else to remember, Welder Dave eluded to, is a particular manufacturer’s dies are matched to their hose ends. Parker tooling to Parker hose, Weatherhead to Weatherhead. I’m happy with my Parker Karrykrimp set up.

  7. #7mx_5992025-07-16 23:49

    okay thanks but isn't primary importance is to crimp to diameter and if you have to just use calipers until you get correct dimensions -- this is most important, no? also, it sounds like crimp to diameter crimpers allow use of different brands to some extent? surely there must be a lower key, but successful way for DIY'er to do their own? I thought I found some info to suggest weatherhead were a certain way but that Aeroquip/Gates/Parker can sometimes be done on same crimpers?

  8. #8mx_5992025-07-16 23:52

    Yes, this what I narrowed down to as well. It appears to cover the sizes I need. I might even be able to get the Mini one...but I may need a size just out of its range on occasion so the one you mention high on my list. looks like $4000 and I am not sure that even has the dies? Looks like possibly some cheaper KarryKrimps ones on ebay, used and a new one I recall

  9. #9mx_5992025-07-16 23:54

    Also, for fittings, are the Parker Hannafin 43 the common ones for most needs?

  10. #10Coaldust2025-07-16 23:57

    I’m sure you can figure it out, mix and match, so forth. Measure twice and crimp once. All that jazz. All the major brands are competitive priced. Just pick one and run with it. Whoever has the best inventory and pricing in your area. Don’t purchase a new press, EBay is a great place to look. Manufactures won’t warranty their hose products if you mix and match.

  11. #11Coaldust2025-07-16 23:58

    The 43 series should cover most, maybe all your bases. Great product.

  12. #12HarleyHappy2025-07-17 07:11

    I bought a used Weatherhead crimper, with a few hundred fitttings. I have since spent thousands on hose and a reasonable stock of fittings for ORBS, ORFS, NPTF and JIC. Sizes range from 1/4” to 3/4” for me. I have already made enough doing friends and friends of friends hoses to pretty much pay for everything. I have mostly been buying Vevor hoses but some Gates and Aeroquip here and there. I find the JIC and NPTF most popular. The crimper came with some die’s but I finished off the 2 wire and 4 wire dies by buying used dies off of E-bay and at Universal Hydraulics. Now I have a side gig that will follow me into retirement. Also started my own business for the write off on taxes. I wasn’t new to making hoses, practically every major construction business and sawmill I worked at, had their own presses, so have been making hoses for 40 years. As to the foam plugs, I just use a long blow off needle gun, unless a foam earplug fits and I shoot that through. I just get the inside as clean as possible.

  13. #13HarleyHappy2025-07-17 08:42

    Hydraulic hose press - tools - by owner - sale - craigslist Hydraulic fitting press four sets of dies nh.craigslist.org This is something reasonable and you could use in your shop press.

  14. #14kenworth2025-07-17 09:35

    Totally agree with Welder Dave.

  15. #15Welder Dave2025-07-17 11:52

    That may be a good option but you need to see how tons pressure you need for the largest hoses you plan to make. Some crimpers are 50 tons and up. I think a 30 ton is probably good for most needs.

  16. #16partsandservice2025-07-18 17:35

    I would look for a used gates 707 crimper. It is adjustable and will crimp up to 1 1/4. Will crimp most any brand fitting. Parker 43 have been copied at this point and are available from many suppliers. I use Couplematic and vitillo . Vitillo use a two piece fitting similar to Gates. However, IMO Gates hose and fitting suuuuuuk. I used to sell gates house but their mega crimp fittings made me change ,over priced as well

  17. #17cfherrman2025-07-19 00:12

    Not all shops are created equal, find a good shop and don't look back. Mine will do 1/4 ends for $3, I done 1" and 1 1/4 and they pretty much do it for the same price I can buy and end for. I have gone to shops and been charged x4

  18. #18HarleyHappy2025-07-19 07:34

    I don’t have shops like that in my area and I have looked. That’s why I bought my own press, that and it seems every time I need a hose, either nobody has the fittings I need or they are closed. That and working on stuff, sometimes you need to bypass the oil cooler or something and need a custom hose for a little bit. I can do ANI fittings also.

  19. #19Legdoc2025-07-25 23:28

    I have purchased dozens of hydraulic hosed over the years. Most are either Parker or Aeroquip. I have never observed the hose man blow out or use a pig (foam) to clean the hose. I do it myself. I have a TLB, grader, three farm tractors and numerous attachments that are going to need complete hose replacement. I have considered getting set-up to do my own hoses. Finding a decent used Parker or Gates press reasonable is difficult. Also, the high volume hose shops must get a much better price on hose and fittings than what's on the web.

  20. #20partsandservice2025-07-26 00:35

    Yes, discount hydraulic fitting are not discounted. As with anything volume brings the price down. Having a small inventory for personal use us about convenience. As a hose business I have around 80k in inventory and still have hoses come in that I don't have fittings for. It seems endless sometimes.

  21. #21HarleyHappy2025-07-26 09:41

    Actually, I have accounts at 3 or 4 hydraulic distributors and while the hose is expensive, you can order Vevor hose off Amazon for a reasonable price. I have been using this hose now for 3 years and it seems to be fine. I do tend to put nylon covers, wherever I can and urge my customers to do also. Good coverings, is almost as expensive as the hose. The fittings are dirt cheap, compared to the prices at a Napa or a Sanels that make hoses. ORielly’s because it’s a national chain, is cheaper but they don’t make hoses around here. A 100 dollar hose, I can make for under 20 bucks. Some fittings are expensive though.

  22. #22Legdoc2025-07-30 22:48

    Update to my previous post. I called my source for hoses today and was quoted the following for Parker 471 Tuff in two sizes and Parker fittings to compare to a OEM Cat hose at 160.70. 3/8" ID 6.96/ft female swivel 6.50, female swivel 90 degree 14.80 1/2" ID 7.59/ft female swivel 8.10, female swivel 90 degree 17.14 Parker assembly would be $104.82 I don't think that's a bad price for a 12' 100R16 quality hose. I don't think the so called Internet "wholesale or discount" prices are any better. I have four, twenty year old machines that need new hoses probably near 100 items. They will give me a 10% discount on a complete machine re-hose. Unless a much better price on name brand 2 wire hoses can be found I can't justify doing it DIY. Even if I got the crimper and saw free.

  23. #23partsandservice2025-07-30 23:50

    That is fair pricing. I would sell those 2 hoses for 116.92 and 130.84 respectively. I use Couplematic Systems fitting and hose.

  24. #24HarleyHappy2025-07-31 09:52

    Part of the reason I bought a crimper and all the fittings are for convenience. If I’m working on something that may require a different hose run or on a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday, I want a hose then. A lot of times, I want a replacement hose longer or shorter for a reason and more than a few times I have had to make up a hose for a temporary work around. Buying your own crimper and all the fittings are not going to save you money, if you only have a couple of machines. If you want to make hoses for friends and family and make a few bucks on the side and have the convenience and ability to make a hose for anything from a brake line, to an AC line, it works for some people. My shop is very popular and I always order a spool of 1/4” just for plow season. A lot of people, don’t like those cheap PVC coated lines on their plow rigs.

  25. #25ThatGuysFarm2025-07-31 15:03

    If you don't want to buy a crimper and dies they have the "field-attachable" fittings. Just need a couple wrenches. Parker 10143 Series (Field-Attachable)

  26. #26HarleyHappy2025-08-03 10:07

    I have a bunch of those field fittings and have used them in the past for emergencies. The only issue is they are a bit bigger that crimped fittings, so if you are trying to pull them through to the hoe or any other tight area, they can be a pain.

  27. #27cfherrman2025-08-03 11:06

    A company I know used them and it's nice when a hose breaks the just cut it shorter and continue on