Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic “load” causing slow crank and no start

Crystallattice ยท 2025-05-10 12:50

So I got to the point where I could test my Case 430 with the 4BT engine swap. After struggling with a flat battery I finally got it started after a charge and everything seemed good, got out whilst the engine was running to remove the jumper cables so I can take it for a spin and stepping on the battery it lost connection and died. Struggled for about two days to get it going again, just couldn't get it to crank fast enough. Eventually I started fiddling with the joysticks and the emergency boom lowering pull cable and the boom came down (back onto the stay) and when I cranked it, it cranked faster and started right up. So it seems one of the hydraulic circuits was activated and causing additional load and slowing the cranking speed. How would I know which one and how would I prevent it in the future? I had the cab tilted forward and that seems to automatically move the joysticks a bit, is that normal? I have seen videos where guys have the cab tilted and started the machine, did the series 2 have some kind of interlock to prevent that?

Replies6
  1. #192U 34062025-05-10 14:16

    Aux hydraulics turned on to constant flow? Ran into that on a machine recently.

  2. #2Crystallattice2025-05-10 14:18

    Don't think so, I did put the pedal back to the left and tried again with no difference, the cable is jammed so it doesn't really move, so it must have been something else.

  3. #3funwithfuel2025-05-10 15:24

    The left or right joystick, make sure they're not stuck up.

  4. #4Crystallattice2025-05-10 15:30

    Okay, so you think that was the cause? I'm new to this machine and it is a bit difficult to feel where the "neutral" position should be. The machine was sitting for a few years before I got it so some of the linkages are a bit stiff, hopefully with some oil things will loosen up and work better

  5. #5funwithfuel2025-05-10 15:35

    I got burned on that once, spent hours struggling only to trace it back to that d@mned lever on the joystick. Then, once I found that and got it started. I couldn't get it to move cuz of an option button on the left stick. I hated that machine.

  6. #6Crystallattice2025-05-10 15:43

    Yeah, sounds like a nightmare! I would have thought that there would be some kind of relief valve that kicks in before startup. When researching the problem I came across a guy with a belt driven machine and he was able to remove the belt to help diagnose the issue. I gave the bellhousing one look and thought no ways am I taking that engine out again! Luckily the only option button I have on the joystick is the hooter, I'm sure I'll know when that sucker gets stuck.