Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Oil

Kenskip1 · 2020-02-21 01:02

So yesterday I had another doctors office visit.Anyway right across the street was a John Deere dealer.I noticed that he had a used 317 on the grounds. Anyway the machine had 1500 hours on it and they were asking 35K. Not today. So anyway I spoke with a salesman. Going out the door I noticed the price of John Deere hydraulic fluid $29.95 for a gallon?Was this a misprint? What brand of hydraulic oil do the members here use?Tractor Supply has a brand that is for $39.95 for a 5 gallon bucket.Anyway just something that I would ask about,Ken

Replies6
  1. #1highwayghost2020-02-21 05:39

    Seems about normal for dealer brand and sold oil. I was at the local Case dealer for parts several weeks back and they had the Hy-Tran on sale at $100 for a 5 gallon. Check the specs on the oil and be sure it's appropriate for the application. We all want to save but you can't go wrong with the manufacture/dealer recommended oil. Maybe just paying for 'piece of mind' but if a problem develops you'll be wondering if it was the cheap oil. Years ago I changed an auto trans fluid/filter with 100K+ miles that had never had a change before. Trans went out a short time later. Had to replace the trans. I have always wondered if it was the oil or just it's time??? Feeling lucky today?? The oil is the 'life blood' and will be the cheapest part of the job. Maybe not the best place cut corners. And if you have noticed all oil prices are more than they used to be.

  2. #2Vetech632020-02-21 06:17

    I learned when I was young , from a bunch of old timers back then, to never change a transmission filter and oil in a truck or car. They said you will replace the transmission shortly afterwards. I cant really explain it, but they were correct! Not sure about today’s vehicles.

  3. #3highwayghost2020-02-21 06:29

    I've heard that too so I have always wondered about it and have had others say they had a similar experience with high mileage vehicles. Thought I was doing something good! . I now change trans oil every 25k miles and confirm the oil is correct and haven't had another problem. One got 380k on original trans and was still good when the tree jumped out in front of me.

  4. #4Mobilewrench2021-10-09 03:16

    I know this is an old thread. But I was trying to find a thread that nige posted about low ash oil and this came up. The reason that you should be wary of changing fluid in an improperly serviced automatic transmission is the fact that almost all transmission fluids have detergent in them. The detergents can dissolve the adhesive that holds the friction material to the clutches.

  5. #5Nige2021-10-09 06:20

    Try searching for "zinc-free" or "ashless".

  6. #6Coaldust2021-10-09 16:20

    $39.52 for a gallon of JD Hy-Gard TY22000 today at my friendly JD dealer. Better hurry! Only three left.