Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Oil Additives, Mechanical Question?

mudober ยท 2015-12-01 09:46

Hey guys and gals too I hope. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with these additives that are suppose to help with minor leaks? In particular I'm interested in some additive that would swell the wore down o-rings on hydraulic cylinder just enough to stop them from running wet. Most of you probably have had an instance where a total rebuild of a cylinder is not feasible for the amount of oil leaking, for instance a cylinder that runs wet. One way to check is to put a piece of paper, (like copy paper) on the chrome rod and if oil soaks thru almost immediately its time for repair. I have used brake fluid with success on other applications, such as dried out carburetor gaskets on outboard engines. I'm in no-way thinking of pouring that into hydraulic system tho. That would be bad. But I have seen products made for boosting hydraulic performance, Lucas is one. Have any of you any ideas? I have thought about turning the head 90 degrees to see if that would help, but haven't done it. I wonder if you take a cylinder off place it vertically with the head down put some brake fluid in it, let sit overnight, remove brake fluid thru line opening flush with oil and reinstall if that would help, anyone ever do that? Dam rain out days get me thinking weird sh##. Thanks for your comments,,,, Mudober

Replies6
  1. #1Jim D2015-12-01 21:24

    No. I can't see that an additive can change the mechanical properties of rubber in a *good* way.

  2. #2Welder Dave2015-12-02 00:29

    Some people have had success with the Lucas but if the seals are too far gone nothing is going to help short of new seals. The Lucas power steering additive does work though and I think it's very similar.

  3. #3Nige2015-12-02 03:38

    You're wasting your time with these additives IMHO. Snake oil is the best way to describe them. Any chemical in the additive that causes the seals to swell is also going to cause them to fail completely a short time later, because once the you have the required amount of swelling (ooooer missus.....) to stop the leak there is no way that you can remove the rest of the additive from oil the oil to stop the process at that point. The seals continue to expand until they fail. If you have a leak fix it the right way with new seals.

  4. #4maddog2015-12-02 07:41

    I agree with the others, plus you may be just adding a bigger head ache down the road. You mentioned taking a cylinder off and filling it with brake fluid. Why not just go ahead and rebuild you've already done half the work by removing it?

  5. #5kshansen2015-12-02 09:31

    Plus even if it does work on swelling the seals that are bad what is it doing to the other seals that do not need to be "swelled"?

  6. #6mudober2015-12-02 12:03

    Good point maddog. I am just doing a little research. Good to see the comments keep them coming. Mudober