This is a basic question, but I'm going to see if anyone has any wisdom on this. I replaced a blown hydraulic line and am in the process of trying to return this machine to full working status. When the hydraulic line blew much of the hydraulic oil leaked out. The sight tube only shows about 4 inches. Well under the add mark. I was surprised how pretty much everything worked except driving, with so little hyd fluid. I was planning on draining out this old hydraulic oil, and replacing it with fresh new hydraulic oil. I've found a new filter cartridge. I'm just wondering if there is any more to a hydraulic oil change. The SM doesn't say much. And I can't think of any way to purge the individual cylinders of hyd fluid. I'm not going to tear anything down for this. Anyway, thanks. JLG40HA, dual fuel, 2wd, proportional controls
Just have all the cylinders retracted when the oil is drained from the tank. This will get all but about 7 gallons out. The machine holds 50 gallons in the tank and the rest in the hoses and actuators. Don't forget to clean out the hydraulic oil tank and filter housing when you have it emptied. There can be a ton of muck lying about. JLG used either Kendall Hyken 052 or Mobilfluid 424 depending on the vintage of the mahine. Kendall for the earlier versions and Mobilfluid for the later.
It never crossed my mind to clean the tank. Thanks. I've got a few gallons of mineral spirits I could dump in the tank and swirl it around with a yard stick. I don't think mineral spirits would hurt anything if I got it all back out. I've got a 55 gallon drum of Mobil NUTO H32, it was painfully expensive, and I guess there won't be much left over. The shop where I got this machine told me they used mobil AW32, and my local bulk oil place told me this NUTO H32 replaced this. Correct or not, that's what it's going to be. Thanks.
Be careful It is better you perform hydraulic oil change from someone professional.. new people do not attempt. If you do not want to pay you can take some tips from EPC Oils Updates and this can help you with the procedure.
Irrational pessimism noted. You're not welcome to speak to me ever again.
GO Buckeyes!!
Cleaning is probably important. You want to make sure no metal debris is floating around. Probably too late now that the change is done.
Here is a thread related to your hyd. oil. !
Looking over the very helpful thread above, I found my similar tank diagram. I didn't want to remove all those bolts, leave well enough alone and so on. But I see there are two filters inside the tank. The cartridge filter bowel was pristine, and the sight gage was nice and clear so I just filled the tank with fresh fluid. Atleast next time I'll know to locate all the diagrams and look them over carefully. The machine seems to work fine so far, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I thought there should be at least one other filter. I didn't notice anything in the service manual. Anyway, Thanks.