Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Oil…Mixing, Flushing, Types

Diggernh ยท 2021-07-20 13:15

Howdy, I have been reading up on hydraulic oils and am left a bit confused. Can ISO 32 and 46 be mixed? How about AW and an ISO variant? I have a Case cx36B and have no clue whats in it currently. I want to top the system but may just drain the tank and replace. Having said that, I wont get the entire system this way. Can these fluids be mixed to some degree? I appreciate the input on this matter. I ask because a friend has provided me with a bunch of ISO 32 that I would like to use.

Replies6
  1. #1Diggernh2021-07-20 16:16

    I am having trouble even finding what this system calls for typically.

  2. #2funwithfuel2021-07-20 19:23

    ISO, VG,AW are all acronyms that mean almost the same thing. Basically it's identifying the viscosity of that hydraulic oil. Now I don't recommend mixing brands and viscosity, but some oil is better than none. If you're gonna do a drain and fill, you'll change a little more than half. If you're consistent with the brand and viscosity, eventually, you'll have changed nearly all of it. So, 32 or 46. Consider the climate you're working in and what the lowest temperature you expect to work in. Typically, colder climate go with the lower number. We push 46 around my area for just about everything, the exception being compacts, then it's manufacturers recommendation. I would think quality 32 would serve you well, but your manufacturer may actually recommend 10w30. Its part of the CNH family.

  3. #3Diggernh2021-07-21 09:05

    That is great information, thank you. Is there any reason I shouldnt run the ISO 32 and go for 10w30 instead if thats what Case calls for? I need to call the dealer as I can not find that information anywhere. It sure smells like hydraulic fluid in it.

  4. #4funwithfuel2021-07-21 10:02

    It may call for hydro. I just reference CNH as i know New Holland is fond of 10w30 everywhere. I don't know what your machine was spec'd with. Always best to follow recommendations.

  5. #5Delmer2021-07-21 11:57

    I think I'd take an oil sample, send it in and wait for the results. That might give you some clues to what's in it, and what kind of shape the oil is in. Then top it with whatever is closest, or drain and refill based on the oil condition. On a mini excavator, not working 24/7 I don't think mixing any oils is going to cause problems, but I don't know what specifics that might change that.

  6. #6Diggernh2021-07-21 15:03

    Oil sample is a good idea, I had not thought of that. Dealer says AW46 is what it wants. I plan to flush with the 32 and not worry about it