I have a 2800 link belt trackhoe with 6700 hrs. Recently purchased one owner that took care of it and run it up and railroad taking up tracks. He said he run it between half and three quarters throttle its whole life. So I doubt it's been abused. The hydraulic oil temp gets up real close to red after about 45 min of working it pretty good. I put a new oil cooler on it after blowing a hole in it with a steam cleaner. I just got done repacking all the cylinders mainly because the arm cylinder was leaking bad and the rest were seeping as all the wipers were bad. Anyway, after all that hard expensive work, it didn't make any difference on the hydraulic oil operating temp. It gets up real close to red on the gauge but seems to cool fairly fast just sitting a little bit above idle rpm. Can anybody tell me the best way locate the problem? I dont of any way other than a temp gun and working each individual function and not real sure I can locate like that. Any help would be appreciated.
You really need to verify what the temperature of the hydraulic oil actually is versus what the gauge reads. It could be just a sender out of range.
Yea I been meaning to shoot it with a temp gun. I know the cylinder barrels and are way too hot to lay ur hand on. I'd say 150 degrees I'd I had to guess but yea I'm gonna get over there today and get a true temp. Preciate it.
Hydraulic oil can run hotter than 150 degrees if worked hard. Do you have a numbered temp gauge? ….or a colored one? If its colored the red zone should start around 200-210 (cant remember exactly). Compare the actual temperature with where the gauge is reading.
Okay will do. Preciate it
Can you check temp differential...with laser...basically temp at inlet and outlet of cooler...
Okay sure will. Thank ya. I haven't made it to the trackhoe yet. I keep getting side tracked.
I havent fixed this trackhoe yet but sure need to. The hydraulic oil is getting real hot after about 30 min when working it in this heat. Its so hot cant hold ur hand on boom cylinder. All the cylinders have been repacked so i think we can eliminate them. Can anybody tell me where to start? I was thinking about starting with a temp gun on the pilot valve. The pump is strong until it get hot. The machine is real dry with about 7000 hrs on it. Thanks for any input.
Well, checking cooler differcial is the easiest to check initially. If difference is good than it is probably high pressure leak or pump not destroking properly. Also did you check the cooler bypass and hydraulic oil filter?
i finally got over there to that hoe. This hot weather in texas has put me in low range. i checked the inlet and outlet oil cooler temp with a temp gun. I first run it some. It didnt take but about 30 min after dark to get the oil temp gauge in the bottom of the red. I shot it and the inlet was 146 degrees and oulet was 138. With a little over a low idle it took about 15 min for it to get to 125 outlet temp. The outside te.p was about 85. I havent checked the filter in awhile and dont know about the bypass. Guess ill pull the filter and check it. What else can i check? I sure appreciate ur help.
i finally got over there to that hoe. This hot weather in texas has put me in low range. i checked the inlet and outlet oil cooler temp with a temp gun. I first run it some. It didnt take but about 30 min after dark to get the oil temp gauge in the bottom of the red. I shot it and the inlet was 146 degrees and oulet was 138. With a little over a low idle it took about 15 min for it to get to 125 outlet temp. The outside te.p was about 85. I havent checked the filter in awhile and dont know about the bypass. Guess ill pull the filter and check it. Also i notice when i curl the bucket at a low rpm, prolly at a high to, it boogs the engine down some. Something is not right there i feel like. What else can i check? I sure appreciate ur help.
Are those numbers Fahrenheit.? I don't know anything about your particular machine but generally to set off a high temp alarm or get a gauge into the red the oil temperature should be well in excess of 200 DegF, probably as high as 250. 138-146 isn't even warm. As a comparison the thermostat/temperature regulator on the engine doesn't fully open until somewhere in the 185-195 region.