Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Problems???

vinrum ยท 2007-01-16 15:38

I just rebuilt a 1974 Bobcat M970. I ran into a few problems while the project was in process, but thanks to the knowledge of the guys on this website, I was either emailed through them or talked through them on the phone..Now that everything is back together, The motor rebuilt, the gas tank patched, I am having problems with the hydraulics(I think)..Under full throttle, I cant get any pushing power or digging power..I will go into a pile of loam, the motor baugs down, but the tires dont spin, It wont even make it up the 8 inch ledge going into my garage, the machine has no balls..The motor is a Continental 6 cylinder..Any Input would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Steve

Replies6
  1. #1Serv2007-01-17 07:55

    I had an older Bobcat that I bought in poor shape for resale a few years ago. It didn't move, lift or do anything except in super slow motion. I ordered the service manual and found a catch screen that resembled a "thimble" that was inside the main valving where the feed line from the hydraulic tank went into. It was totally stopped up. When I removed the foreign matter that had collected in there, the tractor came to life. This doesn't sound like your problem, but I thought I'd mention it since I never would have found the problem without the service manual I bought for less than 100 dollars. It turns out that the hydraulic reservoir "cap" was insulated with alot of fabric fibers and they let go in the hyd. tank inmy case. Just a guess, but your problem kinda sounds like you may have a hose or two switched. My rim crusher was doing that the other day (lugging hard until it would kill the motor) and after beating my brains out trying to figure it out, I studied the hose routing and found one of my employees had switched to hoses the last time they replaced two leaking hoses with new. I swapped the hoses and the thing ran perfect again. I hope this helps you get on the right track as I know this can be frustrating. Get a book too.

  2. #2dayexco2007-01-17 11:28

    you sure it's a hydraulic problem? sounds to me as though when you were working with the fuel system, you've sucked some debris up into the screen, filters, transfer pump, whatever. sounds to me as thought you have a horsepower/fuel problem instead of the hydraulics stalling out.

  3. #3vinrum2007-01-17 14:18

    Dayexco, everything is brand new in the fuel system, I had the tank out and had to braze some holes on the bottom and side, I also replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and all lines going to the carb..I can figure this out for the life of me Thanks Steve

  4. #4dayexco2007-01-17 14:57

    this is a gas burner? i assumed it was diesel. sure there isn't a buncha crap sucked up into your carb?

  5. #5vinrum2007-01-19 12:56

    Attn: Serv Serv, I was trying to follow my main line out of the hydraulic tank, and it goes into this motor looking thing on the backside of the bellhousing. And then there are 2 lines coming out the top of the motor that head towards the control valve where the tilt, lift, and Aux hyd. valves are... Am I looking in the right place?? Please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated Steve

  6. #6Serv2007-01-19 13:20

    Well, it's been 8 years since I pulled that one off but I do remember that wherever the main line out of the tank went to was a catch screen that I NEVER would have found if it weren't for the book that illustrated it for me. I basically had to remove the fitting that the hose attached to. Kinda like on the following pic *click here* . I removed the hose then removed the hex fitting that went into the hyd. motor then out came the thimble type catch screen. I really had to reach in there and pull it out with my fingers as it was in there and out of sight. I wouldn't be suprised if mine and yours are of a different design being mine was a 3 cyl. diesel. Also keep in mind that the symptoms that my machine was displaying was not like yours that is bogging. Mine was simply moving extremely slow due to the hydraulic suction line restriction. The engine sounded relatively normal. Everything, from the lift, dump, and drive speed was as slow as a crawl but I don't recall the motor really bogging. I hope I'm not leading you in the wrong direction here. Pics would really help more people here see what you're talking about.