Hi guys I havent been on here much lately, This year we have lost my mother in law, father in law and wifes best friends husband, after all of the trips up to michigan, I havent been on here much. So Finally i have been digging stumps with the old girls and in the middle of a stump the hydraulic pump just stops working. My question is, when it went out, did it possibly put a bunch of metal fragments in the system? There are no leaks it is just like the pump stopped pumping and it sounds like squeaking as if a water pump went out, sounds like metal to metal. I am going to go out and remove it today and find a part number if I can to start looking it up. Thank You guys in advance for any input on this Mike
Mike, sounds like the splined shaft stripped on the pump, replace the pump and splined coupler. If I am correct there will be no hydraulic contamination. Those pumps are fairly reasonable, it will not be in your best interests to replace the shaft and gear set. On reassembly use a moly lube on the splines. Mel
Firstly, Condolences to you, your wife & family, that's terrible news. The part number for the cessna hyd pump (if that is what you have) was D48950 & has subbed to D53690. There should be lots of sources for these. Hope this helps.
Thanks Alrman and Melben, the pump is a cessna and the number stamped on front is 24500 ive been looking but no findings I will search your part numbers. Again Thank You
Hey guys, I removed the pump today, the shaft on the pump,, the teeth on it are wore down where is has I guess you could say sheared them. the little shaft that goes from that to the part that bolts to the crank pulley that shafts teeth have been rounded also. It looks like its something that has been done over time, not like it is something that has just happened. I took a picture of the shaft on the pump but, I cant get it to upload on here, its too big and I cant resize with this windows 8. My question is, do you think that the pump could be re-shafted? ( rebuilt ) cheaper than replacing the pump? Also that shaft that connects the two, Is that still manufactured? Do they sell a rebuild kit for us to do it ourselves? Thank You Mike
Mikey, Please reread my original post to you on this matter! Did you price the parts against the price of the pump? As I stated before, you cannot justify replacing parts in those pumps against the cost of a new pump, the gears are a matched set, the bushings are an integral part of the ends and cannot be replaced, metal removed from the center housing cannot be replaced and will kill pump effeciency, the gearset and the brass plates and a seal kit will have the price near or more than what new costs and when you are done you still have a pump that is not as effecient as a new one. The coupler shafts and coupling should be readily available from Case. Mel
Mike ,you can get that coupling at Bokin Tractor ( same as a Ford loader) if the pump is good otherwise take it to a machine shop and get the shaft and coupling bored and put a 1/4 in grade 8 bolt in it I ran one that way for a long time,
I wasn't going to mention it, because it sounds like this pump is readily available and reasonably priced. But if there are any splines left on the pump you might be able to cut a section off of the female splines on the coupler and weld the coupler back together with the good splines reversed to match up with the good pump splines (spacer added on the coupler). As long as you don't put any pressure on the crankshaft you've got nothing to lose but some time cobbling it together, the pump and coupler are junk already. Depending on the hoses you might get the pump out of the way without draining the oil. You can buy a new section of female splines at a hydraulic shop, but might as well do it right if you're going to put any money into it.
I think Melben is right, I will probly be better off replacing it, may be original one. The last thing I want to do is tear it all apart again to redo it. I will just bite the bullet here in a few weeks and buy a new one. I thank you guys for your input and assistance on this one. Thank You shopguy for the direction of the shaft purchase.
i like the 1/4" bolt idea for a different application. reading these threads pays off even when i don't have a backhoe problem!
Hey Guys, I have got the old girl put back together today, The hydros work, while I had it down i rebuilt the steering cylinders and changed the filter for power steering. So when checking the steering, the wheel just turns and turns and turns and the wheels stay put. This is with the wheels off of the ground, am I supposed to bleed the hoses or something to get the steering working again? Thank You guys for all of your help. Mike