hey guys, I'm new to working on hydraulics. Right now I have an old NH L779 Skid Steer and an Case 360 Trencher that are going to need some attention. when you open a system, do you use metal plugs/caps to stop fluid from leaking, or do you use rubber plugs/caps. I'd like to buy a kit that would handle most lighter equipment. also, what about a pressure test kit....any recommendations? thanks
Deere uses ORFS fittings, so I bought a set of metal caps & plugs on E-bay. Along with a set of replacement O-rings. My thought : If I have to leave a line capped, (waiting for parts...) I can still run the machine... Can't do that with a plastic plug. Oops … sorry about the geyser of oil on your driveway
that's a great point for being able to cap a line and still run the machine (like maybe move it). i don't know what an ORFS. I guess I have a learning curve on types of fittings and who uses what so I buy the correct kit or kits.
You would most likely encounter JIC or BSPP Here's a pic of JIC Here's BSPP ORFS There's also DIN , EO and JIS plus whitworth something or other. But the 3 I've shown you are the most common that you'll come across. Ebay has nice little service kits from China. Hydracheck and TIFco are a couple other sources. Then you have your local parker or gates or weatherhead stores which should be able to get you whatever you want.
thanks for the hitting info. From your pics, I think my equipment has JIC, but I'll have to look closely.
The best way to go is metal caps and plugs. Can’t reconnect the lines with them in place, can run the machine if on a non critical circuit, and keeps all contamination out under any conditions. We have to buy our own metal ones. Work issues us plastic plug kits but pretty much everybody hates to use them because sooner or later that penny piece of plastic is going to get left in when a line is reconnected because you are being rushed and cause a lot more trouble.
Something like this..?
It's far cheaper to go to a hydraulic hose and fitting place and buy individual parts. Figure a half a dozen JIC caps and plugs for number 4, number 8, at least four number 12 and at least a couple of #16 all in JIC. That should take care of most anything on your trencher. IT also may have some number 10 fittings but you should check on your machine before buying any. They have been becoming less common in the last fifteen years. I'm not familiar with the hydraulics on the New Holland. If it is a US built machine running medium pressures it is likely JIC fittings. It is running high pressures, say about 3,500 PSI, it will likely have ORFS (o ring face seals). Those look like a JIC fitting with a small o ring on the end. You don't want to go to that expense if you don't need them.
The 779 uses JIC for most connections with the largest being #12's... the reservoir and filters may use some pipe tapered fittings. Regards, Bob
great advice guys, thanks
Something like this can also get you out of a tight spot pretty quick as well. https://www.applied.com/yelloc-serviceplug
You can buy stee cap/plug kits on eBay for every standard but DIN. Hydraulic Supply Co. has nice DiN (DKO) kit. I started with kit and then bought whole lot more of individual when I needed them. If you expect to work on different brands ( like me) you gonna need boat load of ORFS in smaller sizes, and good amount of JIC. When it comes to flange buy a plugs ( Anchor makes nice ones) and split kit. For water/trash protection I bought a kit from New Line. Little expensive and has too many of NPT which you probably not gonna use too much. You can buy separate threaded ORFS and metric from them also. There’s company called Capplug that makes all kinds of plastic ones but their minimum order is 1500-2000. You can try to talk to their distributors in your area too see if you can buy the amount you need from them
I would recommend buying steel kits, Not a big difference on price and you can plug pressurized line when needed. The pressure kits: there’s whole lot of cheap Chinese on eBay and Amazon, not sure about quality but f those. JLG and Hydraulic Supply sell reputable brand kits in $450s. Check out Hydracheck, but I haven’t left ok at their website for long time, so I don’t know the prices. I built my own kit, bought swivel run tee kits of each standard from Hydracheck, Pressure Connections and Tifco, and plug or cap the tee when I need. Bought genuine Stuff microbore hoses all my stuff is unified to Test20 ( 16x2 mm) test connections. It was long time ago, now days you can the same stuff on eBay, but I cannot tell you about the quality of it. BTW Tifco is ridiculously expensive and requires setting up business account to buy anything, but it is very helpful to look through their catalog to learn about different fittings standards and quick connectors used in different brands.