Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic slave air assist clutch cylinder

crane operator ยท 2017-03-18 13:22

1987 p&H t650 (crane). Detroit 6v92.and 13speed trans. Has a hydraulic clutch with air assist. Depressing clutch have no air assist, and I'm dumping air out clear at the back of the crane at a brake valve. I'm guessing I've lost the air diaphragm in the air assist, and that it exhausts out through the brake valve. The only part # on the slave is 642-03120 then JKC under that. I've also lost the bolt in the rear of the chamber for the diaphragm, I'm wondering if it captures a internal spring. Anyone identify what its from in the pictures. I'm going to try to limp it home this afternoon from a jobsite without the air assist, and then remove it. I'm hoping someone says "that's from a early 80's mack", not - "gee I've never seen one like that". Possible to make a diaphram? tire tube or brake pod rubber? I'm not even opposed to making a mount for a different style- I've just got to get something in it.

Replies10
  1. #1td25c2017-03-18 13:44

    This WABCO valve sure looks like it Crane Op . http://www.wabco-auto.com/wabcoindiaproducts/wabcoindiadrivelinecontrols/wabcoindiaclutchcontrol/

  2. #2kshansen2017-03-18 14:51

    Can't be of much help but if nothing else might pay to check with this outfit: http://precisionrebuilders.com/contact_us.html Precision Rebuilders, Inc. 350 North Commercial St. Clair, MO 63077 They were the go to place for our local brake shop for odd things a few years back. Give them a call and maybe see if you could email them the above picture and they might know what you have.

  3. #3lantraxco2017-03-18 19:33

    Japanese, Mitsubishi Fuso Isuzu Hino Nissan looks like a Bosch design, comes in 70, 90, 105 mm piston diameter, just measure the black can OD and length. I'm guessing a piston with a ring seal. Seal kits probably available, but EBAY is your friend, lost of them listed, here's some: http://www.ebay.com/itm/105-mm-Long...no-Mitsubishi-Fuso-41700-70D000-/252433675160 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Boos...996793?hash=item25cf7f0039:g:0K4AAOSwax5YoiWQ

  4. #4td25c2017-03-18 19:43

    This article mentions Volvo using air over hydraulic assist clutch , even gives some part numbers . http://hhrvresource.com/node/206 I've never had to deal with one yet other than the air assist on the WABCO scraper and it was just air assist alone. Might PM member Truck Shop or he may chime in later with ideas .

  5. #5crane operator2017-03-18 19:54

    Limped it home from the job about 3:30. Al--- "it must have started working right to make it home?" (he followed me). "Nope-- I just never touched the clutch"--- he's kind of a new driver and he gave me the strangest look. It was only about 5 miles through town- I took the back streets and just rolled the stop signs. I was most worried about popping it out of gear rolling into the shop- I'd have hated to drive it through the far side of the shop wall. Diaphragm is fine- it's actually a piston with a ring seal -- good call lantraxco. The back can for the air piston cracked at the brazed on mounting bolt. My guardian angel is working overtime too-- the piece that broke out- fell inside the can. I'm not the best at brazing- ( I don't even have a tip- just my cutting torch) but I got it stuck back on. I think it's going to recrack, the bracket mounts to that bolt, so all the push on the clutch is on that spot. So after tuesday's job I may take it back out and weld a plate over it, then weld a new bolt to it. But it's got to work tuesday first. I've got it shoved back in the hole- I just need to bleed the clutch and test it out. I've done enough for today. Thanks guys for the info- I had called a couple of truck places this morning while on the jobsite and got nowhere- so I figured someone had seen something like it before. I do appreciate it. The fuso hino slaves look a little light- it looks a lot like the wabco one, but the push rod goes the other way on mine. It looks the most like the second one you listed lantraxco- at $150 I might get one just to see if it matches

  6. #6crane operator2017-03-18 20:03

    Not the best brazing job- but it's stuck. The seal on the curved air line was torn at the compression fitting when it came apart- I slid two o-rings on it and smashed them in there. Don't give me any static about the mess on my bench either- I've been too busy to put tools away- I just sort through the pile And the crock pot on the bench- no I don't cook there- its for warming up seals and orings on cylinder repair. One thing nice about still running some 20" rubber- I've got pieces of old tubes around for cushions I think it may help keep the mounting bracket from beating it to pieces. .

  7. #7td25c2017-03-18 23:12

    Nice work brazing up the bolt fitting Crane Op ! Hey ..... Being you additionally went to the expense of installing the rubber cushion upgrade kit that repair will be good for years . Great example of " make it happen with what you have at the time " . I like it ! I thought the shop looked pretty well in order given recent activity & repairs

  8. #8lantraxco2017-03-19 01:45

    Looks good to me. Thirty years ago I could lay brass down like butter and weld steel with a torch so it looked like an artist TIG'ed it... not anymore, lol. By the way isn't that a really dumb design, putting the full load of the booster on a single stud mounted to a sheet metal can? Planned obsolescence I suppose.

  9. #9Welder Dave2017-03-19 13:37

    Brazing looks good for having to use a cutting tip. I'd guess that was brazed in the past and didn't come from the factory brazed. Tig welding or silver solder would make more sense but you got a lot of brass on there so I think it should be good for quite a while.

  10. #10Kiwi-truckwit2017-03-19 13:57

    I don't know about your market, but around here P&H came on UD Nissan carriers for the most part. May be worth looking into if your need a replacement in future (PS, UD is now owned by Volvo)