Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Suction Screen

Arny L ยท 2020-11-22 15:01

I m changing Hydraulic fluid on my ASV RC30, I took out the suction screen inside tank, it was pretty clean, no metal, ran a magnet around tank, and barley had anything on it. I ve been reading about suction screens, or any suction filter, on hyd. systems not really being needed, if your careful about refilling oil, from leaks etc. But they can cause cavitation problems and destroy pumps if not maintained. I was just considering doing away with it, because to service it you have to drain system every time. Anybody got an opinion on this subject.

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2020-11-22 16:48

    For stationary systems and meticulously maintained mobile systems get rid of the strainer. But IF there is *ANY* chance in the future of some ham handed nimno getting contamination or God forbid a rag or piece of funnel down the tank filler hole, leave the strainer on, it keeps the elephants out of the room. In other words, I would stick it back on. YMMV

  2. #2Nige2020-11-22 17:49

    So would I. It was put there by the designer for exactly the reasons expounded above.

  3. #3mitch5042020-11-22 19:09

    me too

  4. #4Arny L2020-11-22 20:48

    Thankyou for replies, as much as i like the idea of an uninterrupted supply of oil to pump, I realized that i might, at some point sell this machine, and the next owner may not be as careful as I am, when adding oil, so for that reason, and your insights, I will put the strainer back in place. Thanks again