Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Thumb for Komatsu PC220-8

JEREMY SCHMIDT · 2025-05-16 11:18

Hi guys, bought my first excavator, new to me Komatsu PC220-8 for farm use. I have a hydraulic thumb being shipped and have a question about the hydraulics. Should it be plumbed into the capped lines in the pic? I feel like the pictures I've seen of my model show the thumb lines coming out of that block? Also, what kind of flow and psi should the thumb get? I can adjust the flow from the monitor. I was going to buy a pressure test kit to adjust the psi. I'm hoping to follow the lines back to the valve stack and look for an adjustment there. Also, I have a healthy hydraulic leak somewhere on or near the stack. Any best practices for finding it in that jungle of lines and fittings? I planned on cleaning it as well as possible and then watching while someone else runs some of the controls? Thirdly, I keep a good supply of Case HyTran hydraulic oil in the barn. Any reason I couldn't use it in the hydraulic system of this excavator? Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-05-17 07:43

    As for the Hytran, yes it will definitely work but it’s premium oil in a not needed premium application. I only see one line for the thumb? Edit, just saw the one on the other side. It already had a thumb on it.