I have an old Ford 7500 backhoe loader with the 4 handle operating system. The "crowd" valve is so hard to move that I have to put both feet on the overhead support and pull with everything I've got to make it move, but it does move and work, just doesn't want to. It has been getting progressively worse and is now almost impossible to use. Any suggestions are welcome.
Something of that vintage probably has mechanical linkage between the lever and the control valve. I'd bet good money that the linkage is seizing up.
Something makes me think those have control cables. If so thats probably the trouble
See it all the time with the cables on old tractors. Probably easy enough to pop the pin out at the spool and if the lever is still stiff the issue's with the control side. If the lever moves freely then the issue is likely with the valve or spool.
For sure cable controls will get stiff over time. But if it's linkage, and the linkage is free, most likely crud/corrosion on the opposite side of the spool inside the centering spring caps, especially something that aged.
I don’t know what a crowd valve is, but we have three backhoes. The boss is gonna smash and send to the scrap, upload a picture of the part you need.
Doesn't necessarily need any parts. I lubed the cables on my grader and it helped. Not as much as new cables would but definitely helped a lot.
Takes about 30min to fix. Pull the handles off and grease them. The 1/2” rod that runs through all the handles fills with rust in the sleeve from sitting. Sometimes one is sticky or 2-3 the handles move at once when one is pulled. If the plastic liner in the handle is worn out, 1/2” pex works great. Press them in on a vise and ream it with a 1/2 reamer. You’ll be good to go for another 5yrs.
Thanks for all the suggestions since this does have linkages instead of cables.
Remove the pin on the control valve spool. Try to move the linkage. If it does move freely, then try to move the spool up and down while the linkage is disconnected. dogtaco; The crowd and dipper are the same thing.