Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydro trans problem

jdpalmer ยท 2015-03-14 15:17

On my 953 cat at high idle the machine works fine.When you open the throttle the machine slows down but still can be worked.Does not loose power just speed.I checked the fluid it is a little over full,can this be my problem.Any advise would be appreciated J.D.

Replies5
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-03-14 18:15

    From what you say at full throttle you can work the machine but trying to work while throttling up like you would on a power shift it slows down and then slowly gains speed. This is normal, machine should be run at full throttle using center pedal or lever to control ground speed. If you find it will not drive at full throttle only low setting you have a problem. Later Bob

  2. #2jdpalmer2015-03-14 19:00

    I just read the operators manual and it had to much hyd fluid in it .I drained it to proper level, haven't ran it yet because all we have here is mud.I may have may have not been clear on my problem.At say1/3 throttle it works good.Set it at full throttle and pull speed lever all the way back to fast and I slows down only on ground speed engine is at full speed.When traveling it goes faster at 1/3 throttle than full throttle.Do you think to much oil can cause my problem.TKS J.D.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2015-03-14 19:53

    Oh! that is different, If this happens with very cold oil not a big problem but with warm oil (operating temp) it indicates a dirty filter or maybe one that is too small of micron rating. Drain the filter housing as per manual and change the filter, get proper one from dealer and explain your problem make sure they don't just give you any one. Any metal in filter is a problem, maybe reason it was for sale. Later Bob

  4. #4jdpalmer2015-03-14 20:22

    Well bob you have pointed me in the right direction and I appreciate that.When I bought the loader I loaded it and traveled 1/2 mile to do so.It ran at full speed no problem , the only thing I did was add to much oil per manul.I will change the oil and filter as soon as the mud here isn't 3 in deep. I don't think ill see metal in the oil I drained today it looked good.I know I had to much oil in it I hope that's the problem.TKS J.D.

  5. #5Bob/Ont2015-03-15 09:17

    Viscosity is critical must be 10 hydraulic oil or your problem will be worse. The brain of the HPCU is hydro mechanical not electronic. Oil flow from the fixed displacement charge pump running at engine speed goes through the filter and then a venture creating "upstream" and "throat" pressures. Upstream pressure works against throat pressure plus spring pressure to balance each other. The position of balance is relative to difference in pressure. Low pressure diff piston is low, High pressure diff and piston is high. Low piston=low speed, High piston=high speed, relative to travel lever position. On its own the machine would only travel at full throttle but there is an Underspeed over ride valve attached to the throttle linkage allowing travel at 1/2 throttle. This fetcher is why your machine travels as it does. Machine will stall if worked a lower throttle setting. Later Bob