Hydrostatic Transmission Check. I’m looking to buy an eighties 963 or 973 with a Hydrostatic Transmission. I have never driven a Hydrostatic Transmission. What are some ways to check it out? How would one tell if it’s going bad or is good? Best Regards, Steve Z.
This is a post from this thread which you may find useful. For digging rock and tree clearing 977L, 963 or 973 with or without a 4 in 1 Thought maybe there was some folks that had spent time in the 977l and then moved to newer machines. My 977l is going to be a farm machine(if I keep it). I want to dig up some somewhat soft limestone with it. Small stuff for roads big stuff for retaining walls. I just retired at 55. I have quite... HeavyEquipmentForums
I appreciate your response. Thank you for sharing. If I find anything not right as you described, thus the transmission is bad, am I right to think it will just stop working completely one day soon ? Once it is going bad, could it still work for a couple of years, months, or days? Also, I found a 977K close to me. The owner says it will not drive, but it cranks, runs, and all the hydraulics work. He said everything worked when it was parked. I’m already asking how long ago did he park it? Any ideas on what to repair, the effort and cost? Best Regards, Steve Z.
You should put the transmission in test position and see the test values. Also, the diesel engine should be good, at least the injectors should be good. Because if the injector is bad in these machines, the engine generally does not lose speed, the transmission loses power.