Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hypothetical question

TVA · 2022-01-04 21:57

Not a crane guy at all! Worked on few cherry pickers, all terrains and boom trucks. One of my customers have four axles lettice boom friction American. They tried to re power crane part with marine 8 cylinder Screaming Detroit, just to find out that it has wrong rotation. Then they abandoned the project. Drive side Cummins works beautifully. Now he is coming back to idea of adding barged reloading to his shipyard operation. But no way in hell wants to rebuild the Detroit to make it right rotation. For me, to reverse rotation on hydraulic pumps is no problem at all and not expensive at all! But I have no idea about friction side of things. Is that anyway drums can be flipped and sprague clutches ( if there is any) can be reversed to make that crane work? Would you guys educate me on this?!

Replies7
  1. #1Tones2022-01-04 22:29

    A simple idea. If there's room add a 2 cog non reduction gearbox onto the Detroit and run it the way it is.

  2. #2TVA2022-01-04 22:31

    Need to think about it. How much something like this, proper power/torque rating will cost?

  3. #3TVA2022-01-05 00:56

    Been reading on reversing 8V92, lots of conflicting information. Can you guys tell me what it takes to reverse one?

  4. #4TVA2022-01-05 01:22

    I think I would have to verify that engine is wrong rotation. Wouldn’t be the first time some dimwit said something to the owner of the outfit and he believes it. That crane have hydraulic joystick for the control, could be the pilot circuit problems , or torque converter/clutch engagement issues.

  5. #5Tones2022-01-05 02:43

    I have no idea on the cost. I'm half a world away

  6. #6TVA2022-01-05 05:07

    Hey! Thanks for an idea anyway!

  7. #7TVA2022-01-05 09:20

    Well! This is embarrassing! The hydraulics on that thing actually powered from belt driven pumps on the travel engine! The crane part is air operated.