Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyster 30, Vintage Unit Value?

Flat Thunder Channel ยท 2020-04-26 06:03

Does anyone know the value of these units? I am looking at an old Hyster forklift. I think it has a 4 cylinder continental propane engine. I am debating trying to purchase for my home shop. It appears from the pictures to be a smaller unit. Which works perfectly for my small garage. Thanks in advance for the help / info.

Replies10
  1. #1John C.2020-04-26 10:22

    Last time I looked, you could find plenty of units like that at auction for less than $5,000. Does that have an manual or power shift transmission?

  2. #2Flat Thunder Channel2020-04-26 10:52

    I'm not for sure. I think I see a third peddle. So manual? I am going to look at it this afternoon and potentially make a offer. I know it needs a little work. I am betting the brakes do not work at all and it stated that some minor hydraulic leaks exist. It does have side shift which is a plus.

  3. #3mowingman2020-04-26 12:24

    I bought one very similar to that about 10 years ago. It was old, did not look pretty, but would still do the job. I paid $2500.00 for it at that time. With the small solid tires, you can not use it anywhere except on concrete paved floors. So, if you happen to want to take it outside onto a gravel driveway, it will not work for you. I might go $3000 now, if it is all in good operating condition. Around here, there are always a lot of that type of machine for sale though.

  4. #4Andy1845c2020-04-26 22:16

    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bfd/d/minneapolis-forklift-for-sale/7109709240.html https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/tls/d/red-wing-1952-yale-forklift/7108275731.html https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/d/rockford-hyster-forklift-lb-capacity/7107014019.html Couple ads off craigslist from my area for comp. Those older forklifts come up cheap if you're patient. I wouldn't pay too much for one. I have an old Allis Chalmers forklift a little bigger than that Hyster that I think I paid $500 for. It needed a ring gear though. I'm on the taller side and find those small older forklifts like sitting in a clown car. Worlds better than no forklift, don't get me wrong but ergonomics weren't a thing back then I guess. I also second what mowingman said, they instantly get stuck in gravel and weigh enough they aren't easily unstuck.

  5. #5Flat Thunder Channel2020-04-27 01:38

    Well I'm the proud new owner of a project. She needs a little fixing up! I just got it home today. Reverse is a little tricky it doesn't want to engage unless you hold up on the pedal. Need to investigate how this unit functions. It has a hydraulic transmission. It switches a solenoid valve with a selector know on the column. The brakes are also none existent. I am like a kid with a new toy. Thank you for all the information. I bought this unit on the cheap and if I can fix those known issues I think it will do the job. I only plan to use it in the garage. It did come with a custom made set of pneumatic tires that supposedly make it more forgiving on gravel, but I don't know if I'll try it. 'When you have too many projects.....Add another one'

  6. #6Flat Thunder Channel2020-04-27 01:42

    Excellent information! I wish mine looked as good as the second listing. I think they are very similar if not the same models, except mine has a little patina. Thanks

  7. #7Andy1845c2020-04-27 21:59

    Congrats! Post some pics as you get her all fixed up

  8. #8Flat Thunder Channel2020-04-28 21:27

    Thank You! I will try to post some pictures of the process. It will be a little bit before I can start, but I am excited to finally have a functioning lift . You can also view videos of the process on my YouTube channel if anyone is interested. Following along: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX61KjaMraBMgVo-wK5bFQQ

  9. #9Flat Thunder Channel2020-04-28 21:31

    If anyone has specific useful instructions, tips or tricks on servicing this unit please share. This will be my first forklift project. Thank you in advance. Currently curious what type of ATF fluid the transmission takes and where the fill is located? I found the dipstick, but didn't look hard enough for the filler.

  10. #10Flat Thunder Channel2020-05-01 07:40

    Step one. Move enough stuff out of the way so the garage is functional again. *Note I didn't realize a forklift specific area was available. I will post more info, updates and questions in that area. I hope to learn more about these units through other people's experience and knowledge. Thank you