Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyster H200E Forklift

RM Snipe ยท 2021-02-20 07:08

Hi All, newbie after some help from those that know lol. I just bought my 1st forklift to use round the farm, a Hyster H200E with GMC 305 v6 on lpg & manual gearbox & am having some dramas with it already. It had no hyd fluid or lpg left when delivered so mast was jerky & wouldnt go any higher than 5/6 ft high, replenished both now starts & runs fine but has no to little steering unless moving under revs. Gears & fwd/rev grind occasionally & wet clutch housing leaks oil from starter when not running. Moving it again today the hyd pump was whining & mast stopped at 5/6ft, hoping the hyd filter is just blocked & a new one will sort out the lack of clutch & steering pressure also. If not the priority valve is my #1 suspect, orbit motor #2 ? ? There is a alloy box connected to the clutch housing that looks like a return strainer & could be causing the clutch oil overflow ? I searched all last night for a manual but only 1 was on ebay for $300. Any input or help with a manual from the guru's would be greatly appreciated.. The priority valve is mounted on hyd pump which feeds clutch slave cylinder then orbit/ram & return to tank. Clutch slave cylinder Orbit motor, steering shaft seal leaks.

Replies16
  1. #1Vetech632021-02-20 08:49

    From your description it sounds like a cavitation issue. Pumps will whine badly and push air into the hydraulic system when a suction leak is present. Have you checked the condition of the suction hoses and clamps? After running, check the hydraulic oil and see if it has a foamy look to it.

  2. #2lantraxco2021-02-20 14:00

    As I recall, from forty years ago, lol, that wet clutch has a float or dry sump suction setup, only supposed to have so much oil in the housing, not full. Steering was always marginal on these Hysters, but could be sorted with effort. Check the pump suction hose(s) for chafing, some of these beasts the hoses ran up over and down, liked to suck air which made the pumps howl.

  3. #3RM Snipe2021-02-20 21:21

    Was thinking because the hyd filter must be blocked & is only the size of beer can by look of it, pump has cavitation because it can't suck enough oil ? Oil didn't look foamy returning to tank. Will get a filter Monday & go from there.. Cheers...

  4. #4lantraxco2021-02-20 21:24

    Filter should be in the return. Might be a suction strainer somewhere, usually in the tank if it has one. i know the older models didn't.

  5. #5RM Snipe2021-02-20 21:41

    Cheers, thought it might drain clutch with suction because it has 20/25mm pipe from bottom of clutch housing to this alloy box with other return hoses, which is lower than the hyd tank & pump. Box must be a return strainer & is probably blocked like the main filter which wouldn't help siphon the clutch. Will check all the hoses for leaks, need to give it a wash underneath 1st so I can see some of the hoses buried under crud. Steering is the priority so I can use it as its hopeless at the moment unless you are the Hulk..

  6. #6RM Snipe2021-02-20 21:51

    Hyd filter is in a canister the size of a beer can so no wonder it can't suck oil if its blocked, alloy box is probably a suction strainer will look for more.

  7. #7RM Snipe2021-02-21 04:23

    Whats connected to the bottom of hyd tank, I suppose the end of it screws off ? will find out tomorrow.. its a battle with no manual, back to searching for one tonight...

  8. #8RM Snipe2021-02-22 03:26

    Couldn't find anymore hyd filters underneath so I took lid off the hyd tank & there they are, absolutely rooted. Went into town but because the filters are uncommon couldn't find any so have to go further afield tomorrow after ph around 1st. Oil is black after putting 60l new oil in when I got it to try & get the mast to move properly, took filters apart for a look, little bit of metal in one but nothing to worry about I think the with age of machine & lack of service. Filters were heavy & dry, suction must hold them down in place ?

  9. #9lantraxco2021-02-22 16:51

    I'm hoping there were some parts closing off the upper ends of those filters, maybe with springs, or bolts through the center?

  10. #10RM Snipe2021-02-22 20:28

    So was I but they just seem to be sitting in the holes held down with gravity & suction, without a manual got no idea if anything is missing from top that holds them down, about to go get new filters & talk to local forklift repair crowd & see if they will enlighten me.

  11. #11lantraxco2021-02-22 22:21

    I don't know if that's suction or return, should be return, but obviously those elements have not been filtering anything for a long time, oil just runs right through the center.

  12. #12RM Snipe2021-02-23 03:17

    When I get a manual we will both know mate, the pipe in center of filters is return to tank, the can I thought was the only filter to start with under hyd tank is other end of that pipe with 2 large return hoses going in to top of can, dropped new filters in & greased the dry mast & rollers & lifts smooth now without jerking or binding. The steering seems to have improved enough to use it will know tomorrow as only had quick test drive tonight. But its still not how it should be, going to get a pressure test kit off ebay & go from there. Gears still grind every now & then so its has to be low pressure/drop, with clutch supplied before steering motor causing the grinding because most of time it shifts fwd/rev or gears smooth. My #1 suspect is still the priority valve, till I pressure test its anyone guess I think ? Emailed last night every business selling Hyster manuals in google they all have everyone listed but mine (B007), got 5 replies so far only 1 with it a PDF for US$150 that won't be happening, thinking maybe get 1 from next version ? surely least 80-90% of it will be the same, looks the same machine, for tenth of price think its worth trying till I can find the proper manual at a sensible price.

  13. #13RM Snipe2021-02-23 08:33

    Lashed out $20 for a manual of next series, very basic & some is a bit different but shows me what I need to know so I be able to make some progress now.. alloy box on wet clutch housing.. Definitely has pieces missing from hyd filter assembly looking at this Iantraxco, have to find some springs the rest I can make.

  14. #14lantraxco2021-02-23 19:54

    Oh yeah! Now you need the parts books for your machine to show more detail. Good start though!

  15. #15Cumminscale2022-11-22 13:34

    Did you ever find out what was causing the bell housing to over fill. I'm having the exact issue. I found what looks like s spring sitting in the float box not sure where it goes.

  16. #16RM Snipe2024-02-07 06:37

    Hopefully, its been sitting in yard for least a year I'm about to try to sort it out so I can use it. Found the problem causing clutch to leak all the hyd oil out its had multiple starter motors, found remains of new pinion gear & brass bushes etc blocking pipe from clutch to alloy box so isn't draining clutch properly. The new starter motor face isn't flat so that's why it always leaks out all the hyd oil, needs turning in lathe so it will seal against the engine block.