Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyster H60XM Forks drops slowly

ohaio ยท 2013-11-26 12:43

Hi All, I have a Hyster H60XM that is having a hydraulic problem. If the forks are raised up say 10 feet, it will slowly drop down. It also has a problem lifting its capacity load up high into the second stage. We replaced the 2nd stage seals about 2 years ago. It helped, but didn't really fix the problem. It is getting worse so wondering what else needs to be rebuilt. tia

Replies4
  1. #1powerjoke2013-11-26 22:45

    Does it have a non pressure return line off the top of the cylinder ? Does it have any leaks anywhere ? If the answer is no to both you more than likely have a valve problem. Pj

  2. #2ohaio2013-11-27 10:49

    Thanks PJ; No, there is only one hose connection at the bottom. There's a little wetness at the top of the 2nd stage cylinders. Not too bad though. I checked again and we have the same dropping problem in the main cylinder, but there no visible leaks in that cylinder. I will look at the valves. Is the problem more likely in the hand control valve or the hydraulic pump? Or just rebuild both? Would the valve problem also explain the lack of lifting power?

  3. #3powerjoke2013-11-29 16:31

    Yes if you have internal valve leakage it could be loosing psi..... more less just passing fluid from one side of the spool to the other , it seems like your valve is definatly a problem I would start by rebuilding it and then move onto the pump, check pump psi more than likely you can adjust it somewhere pretty easily I have a 80xl I'll look to see where the relief valve is and maybe there is some similarities between the two..... I'm not much of a forklift guy so hopefully someone can hop in and correct me if I'm wrong before you spend money you don't need to A leaking stage in a cyl will cause it to drop as well but it doesn't sound like your cyl is that bad, most of the time on a single acting cyl you can just tighten the packing nut and help them out, just look for a set screw of some sort before you start whaling on the gland nut tho lol Pj

  4. #4mikebramel2013-12-01 20:30

    You can repack the first stage cylinder or do some diagnostic tests with ball or needle valves and raise the load, close the valves, if the load continues to drop the valve is not your problem but in your cylinder. If the load does stop drifting you will need to look at the spool to bore clearance or any holding mechanism inside of the valve body