Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hytrans fluid and regular hyd fluid

Proudthunder ยท 2020-07-25 17:35

I just bought a case 580B shuttle tractor from a neighbor, he stated that he thinks the previous owner put hydraulic fluid in the torque filler and hytrans in the transmission filler, what harm could it cause or is it ok for now til next fluid change. I read in the manual that the torque converter takes tch and the transmission takes hytrans, but i also read somewhere that the two filler caps on the floor are connected inside somehow, so wouldnt that be a mix of reg hyd fluid and hytrans. Need help with someone who owns a 580B.

Replies8
  1. #1jimg9842020-07-25 18:15

    use correct fluid for each, correct fluid is expensive,, rebuilding is much higher, can't take short cuts bite bullet and buy and change fluids these machine are not a toy or a lawn mower

  2. #2Proudthunder2020-07-25 18:29

    what would you recommend putting in the dipstick by the seat and the one forward of the shifter ? I read that the torqe dipstick ( dipstick in front of shifter) takes tch fluid, and the one by the seat takes 90wt oil, but parts stores tell me i can use hytrans instead of 90 wt.

  3. #3digger242j2020-07-25 19:33

    Think of it this way--The 4 speed transmission (filler tube under the seat), is a manual transmission, like you'd find in any vehicle with a stick shift. They like gear oil. (If I recall correctly, it's actually a transaxle, because the 4 speed gears and the rear end all share the same box, and fluid.) The Power Shuttle drives that gearbox (filler in front of the shifter), is a separate system, but it's more like an automatic transmission, in that it prefers a lighter oil, similar to ATF. That's your Case TCH fluid. The hydraulics and power steering, two more separate systems, also like TCH. And, welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums.

  4. #4Proudthunder2020-07-25 19:47

    Finally !!! someone who can make sense out of all this. thank you very much. Where at are you in southwestern pa, im in north western pa by pitt airport.

  5. #5digger242j2020-07-25 20:24

    Oh, you're very welcome. I never owned a 580B, but I did own a couple of Cs. They're pretty similar, fluid wise. I wouldn't call this northwestern Pa, but I'm not far from you. (When I think of northwestern Pa, I think of Erie.) I'm only about 15 minutes north of PIT airport.

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-07-25 20:48

    From the service manual.

  7. #7Delmer2020-07-25 22:59

    Hytran in the transmission is fine, a gear transmission is not terribly sensitive to oil type, and hytran is a transmission fluid used in lots of gear transmissions. I would not bother to change it to gear oil, or change it at all unless it gets milky with water. TCH (or hytran ultra if you go by that recomendation) for the shuttle, definitely NOT hydraulic oil. Hydraulic oil is not designed for wet clutches. Change that filter and fluid by the book.

  8. #8grt_580b2020-08-12 09:50

    I have an old 580b that I recently bought and one of the first things I did was a complete fluid change on the whole machine. I noticed that the tch in the front of the trans was very milky likely due to water and when I drained the gear oil when I was taking the drain plug out water came out first because the gear oil dident mix with water as well as tch so the water in that system had drained to the bottom of the case. Just something to keep in mind if you were going to switch the gear oil to tch, although ideally you would try to keep water out of the system as a whole