Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyundai 290lc-7 rpm problem

Bwhitney ยท 2018-02-24 00:11

Hi all I have a Hyundai 290lc-7 Excavator that won't hold a consistant rpm on start up. It will rev up and down in rpm to as high as 1900rpm and as low as about 600 for about the first 5 minutes of running without touching anything. I have the auto idle turned off as this doesn't work. I have tried charging the battery but did not improve. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-02-24 02:35

    Seeing that the engine is computer controlled.. my thoughts would be a crank shaft sensor that reads engine RPM.?? {least expensive check} Normally located on the transmission bell housing or near the front of the engine by the harmonic balancer. It clears up after warm up?? I may be just dirty..or what ever its reading, {flywheel}, might be dirty?? IF it was BAD, the engine wouldn't start at all.. The engine is probably a Cummins QSB 6.7L so that should get you started on finding the location of the sensor.. Good luck.

  2. #2Vetech632018-02-24 09:08

    On the QSB 6.7 the crank sensor is on the left side (if facing the flywheel) of the balancer.

  3. #3Bwhitney2018-02-24 16:06

    Its a Cummins QSB5.9-205 I haven't found the sensors yet. I have found it has a recorded error 45

  4. #4Bwhitney2018-03-07 02:24

    I have looked and looked and can not find a crank sensor. Ive been checking connetion and anything else I can think of with no luck still the same. It has current error codes #40 (more then 500rpm between the target speed and the actual speed)and #45 (hydraulic temp sensor open circuit or shorted to battery +) do they mean anything?

  5. #5thepumpguysc2018-03-07 04:16

    It HAS TO BE reading engine rpms from somewhere.. find THAT sensor.