Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyundai HL740TM-3 no 2nd Gear

VKC · 2020-09-07 13:22

Hey folks- I have a 2002 Hyundai HL740TM-3 and shifting into 2nd gear stops it dead. The Gear Selection Indicator on the panels shows that it's in 2nd gear but; no go. All other gears work properly. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1Jgm2020-09-07 13:28

    I would check your inlet/outlet pressure on your solenoid valve for your 2nd clutch,, on your torque converter

  2. #2Jgm2020-09-07 13:29

    Or try switching out your solenoid from another gear, see what happens, should be the same solenoid

  3. #3Bigbert2020-09-07 15:20

    Does 2nd gear brake the loader to standstill or is it like going to neutral? Panel usually shows 2F or F2 in 2nd. Is F still present when going out of gear? All solenoids are same type.

  4. #4VKC2020-09-13 14:37

    Hey Jgm- Thanks so much for your thoughts. I finally got a chance to look around in the machine. Torrential rains happen this time of year here in Central Florida and the place is a swamp. Anyway; I crawled around under the machine (no small task; I’m 73) looking for solenoid valves located on the torque converter and was not able to figure out what I was looking at. Any additional information that can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

  5. #5VKC2020-09-13 15:06

    Hey Bigbert- Thanks for the help. I finally got a chance to do a test and here is what I found. When traveling forward in 1st gear, code shows F1. Shifting to 2nd gear the code displays F2 and coasts (like going into neutral). The code does not change unless you add power (in 2nd gear) and then the code displays BY and a wrench. Thanks so much for your input.

  6. #6Bigbert2020-09-14 03:04

    Hey VKC, with "BY" on display then there is no move at all in any gear? Unless switch off ignition and back on? Same behaviour in Reverse 2? I'd guess "BY" is a "B2" and means slipping K2 clutch. Thats why I'm asking for R2. "BY" is nowhere listed. Oil is fine in tranny? Smell/colour. Are you able to run the clutch calibration? They called it "AEB". Any AEB starter available in FL? Precision tm in FtMyers should have such a part. I could share a manual for tranny via email. ZF 4WG160?4WG190? Type plate somewhere at bottom of tm. Try to follow Jgm's suggestion even its hard. Swap solenoids.

  7. #7VKC2020-09-20 09:39

    Hey Bigbert- Thanks for your great suggestions. I'm trying to follow up on them but the weather is not cooperating. Still digging around. Thanks for your great help.