Hi I just bought a 1989 case 580c backhoe. I had a friends "diesel/hyrdaulic" mechanic look it over for me on Thursday. He said it was in great operating condition. I paid 7800 bucks for it cash. I paid an additional 300 to have it delivered via low boy to my house. The one cylinder in the back leaks fluid and the right side brake is shot.. Apparently, my "mechanic" knew nothing. I had a case mechanic from my hometown look at the machine today at 12 for the cost of 100 bucks. It needs a cylinder rebuilt on the hoe and it needs a right brake. The diesel engine is perfect, no leaks, no misses, the transmission fluid is red and new--all four speeds function as they should. I am so angry right now that i got taken for a ride.... I can not use the machine on my land cause its a steep grade. I am selling this ASAP. If i do not sell it by Tuesday im calling the local scrap yard im that pissed off.... I figure 6000 pounds 3 bucks a pound---i will take it.....If anyone in Pennsylvania (im in bellwood pa)its near altoona is a mechanic and wants it---come get it---4000 bucks and its yours.......as i said it functions great--just leaks---I blew my wad of cash getting it--and now that i cannot use it unless i pay a mechanic to fix it i dont want it.... my number is (mod edit)---if you want pics i got them... i can even go out start it and move it around and video it for you---and have pics of the leak. The guy who sold it to me of course will not answer calls--im afraid if i go see him i will end up in Jail..... so freaking stupid--should have paid a real mechanic to look it over........
more like 3 bucks per hundred pounds....sorry
Have you got a quote on replacing the bad brake? Resealing the one cylinder should not be a big problem.
Whoa there... Take a breath. I feel for you, but it's just parts. Everything is fixable. I don't know anything about the Case 580's, but I just tore the whole rear end out of my Deere 310se and rebuilt the differential by myself with little more than a motorcycle jack, a tripod and chain hoist , and a service manual. I saved a pile of cash versus paying a mechanic to do it. Are you sure you can't fix it yourself? Maybe you've got a couple of friends/neighbors that would be willing to help if they knew they could borrow it sometime? Either way - keep calm, and good luck.
A brake and repacking a cylinder doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Add a few hundred to what you paid for it and it sounds like a sweet machine.
if that small amount of repairs bothers you,,,,,,,,,,you don't need to have a piece of equiptment
Just about any used machine will have something wrong with it. A leaking cylinder and a bad brake . Most of my customers would consider they got a good deal.
You bought the machine for $7800. Then you get the sooks because it needs a cylinder resealed and the brakes fixed. Really these problems are no big deal. You are lucky to get something that even runs for that price. Sounds like the best thing you can do is sell it. You are obviously not cut out to own machinery.
^^^^^^Boy isn't that the truth!
I currently have several leaking cylinders in various leaking stages.:cool2 The park brake on my 420D doesn't work but the brakes do work. The 953 has a weeping lift and tilt cylinder. I had the tilt cylinder re-packed 1.5 years ago, kinda miffed about that. $7800 for the backhoe and $300 for a move, you're in for $8100 plus repairs. Did you really expect to get a machine in tip top shape for that amount? Heavy equipment is expensive to own and maintain - that's why excavation work costs as much as it does. From time to time I get people who say -"Why does this cost so much". I offer to let them ride to the parts house, the fuel depo, insurance agency and so on...
Adjust the park brake by turning the handle clockwise :cool2
You won't get 3.00 a hundred unless you cut it up, don't want to wind the top but you should have rented a machine, you owe the guy that looked at it for you an apology, a good used machine is what you got at a fair price, you sell it now for 4000.00 and your not to smart, are you?
You wan't to sell it for $4000 or if it doesn't sell by Tuesday, you'll take $1800 as scrap. Sounds like someone that wants a good backhoe should call round on Wednesday for the deal of the century. Take a deep breath, price some parts and labour if required. How bad does the cylinder leak? You could possibly run the cylinder as is for a while. Are your brakes shot or is it an adjustment issue? Any machine can and will break down or wear. That's life. As long as the basic foundation is sound, which it sounds it is, then fix your couple of minor problems and go dig dirt.
The one who he sells it to for 4K will probably be the one he bought it from for 7800.00, dumbass
Don't the C's have the dry brake on the side of the transmission housing like the old case tractors did? If so and you buy new parts you can have the whole assembly changed in about 30min and an hour for the cylinder so for a few hundred dollars and an hour and a half's time you have a deal of a backhoe Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Dumbass, I must apologize, there are alot of smart people on here that can walk you through your repairs, very easy. Overworked
Gramps, I've bottomed it out. She's an old girl, you should understand.
Slick way to put a machine up for sale..........
Reminds me of a guy who before he worked for us for a couple years ran a shop that mainly worked on over the road trucks. When ever some customer would complain about how much repairs cost his reply was; "Big trucks, Big Bucks!"
Your lucky to get it for that price I just sold my 580 super E for 12 grand and it had 10000 hrs on it and I thought the guy got a fair deal If I was closer I woud be there in a heartbeat to buy it .Can you get another one? LOL
First we need to find out what you bought, the C was not built in 1989. Do you have pic's so we can sort this out for you and give you good feed back.
The guys sounds smart to me, what a great way to get interest in a machine you're trying to sell.
Hold on chaps with all the harsh remarks. Seems this guy is new to the industry. We all know the score, or think we do, or would like to think we do. Obviously mr wet cylinder is new to the world of plant and doesn't get it. As Overworked rightly said, most of the guys on here would jump at what he has to make a quick buck. I've no doubt that a majority of posters have been screwed at some point and gone off on one bad mouthing the if, and or buts of however they were screwed. I know I have. Rather than pushing salt into his wounds how about a bit of help. At Mr Dumbass, coming on here and giving it all mouth was probably not the sharpest thing to do. A simple have I been screwed would have been way more productive. Rant over.
Should've, could've, would've is what my pappy would've said....get a grip man...invest in a repair manual and get the brakes fixed up. Leaking cylinder...really no big deal...put all that pissed off energy into something positive...
Relax, breathe, Mr. (or Ms.)"Dumbass". Parking brake and repacking a leaky cylinder are not major repairs. I think that is within the ability of a person with some wrenching experience. And if not, any mechanic with heavy equipment experience could handle that. Probably just repacking the cylinder, and the parking brake may be just adjustment as someone said above. If it's a 580C as you state there are no electronics or computers on it, very simple, reliable machine and easy to work on. (Compared to today's computerized marvels.)
I cant belive everyone is falling for this .....a guy signs up...2 posts...manages to make it sound like a bargain...great machine checked over by two mechanics...minor issues...give away price...even got his phone number in...no followup posts.. sounds like to me a one time sales job......
It was there..:cool2
Probably trolling , or a kid, kids are quick to try to kill someone n all , gee golly he's mad.
nothing a little cut n fill job wont cure ointlaugh
Let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
With what do we provide assistance? The man comes here with wet feet and simply wants to sell his newly acquired hoe.
Don't know about everyone else but to me this post is hilarious. Either a fool and his money or as many have sad smart salesman? I have seen some in my time that by used machines, think they can run the P out of them and never have to worry about putting money back into them. Course these folks don't last long owning their equipment but they are great entertainment for the rest of us.
if my 580c was in that great of shape I'd love it. Almost ALL cylinders have to be replaced one of my brakes starts slipping (plowing snow). my ALT crapped the bed and I blew my left rear tire. It was a hard winter up here in Maine. Just search for parts you can find good parts cheap. it just takes a little bit of time.
i've seen worse, for sure. Boss bought a used trackloader, "Ready-To-Work" said previous owner. One day of use and a fencepost goes in the space previously occupied by a belly-plate, killed a $1100 hyd. valve body (yes, we should have crawled under it first). Later the a main lift arm cracks and I'm grinding Polyester pretty-paste out over 6011 beads. I could list a few other repairs, but those may have been Use-Induced.
Yes the C's have dry brakes... the same ball cam style like a lot of tractors have but the C also has a axle lock shaft that protrudes in the right side brake housing and it's seal can leak and oil the right brake material causing lots of grief.
3 bucks a pound? where is that scrap yard
This member has not returned since posting this thread, there doesn't seem much point for it to continue.