Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I am in a spot of bother!!!

redline ยท 2008-12-24 20:32

I am currently trying to sort out a time in my life where i have to make a hard decision. Would love ur input on this to get some different ideas. I am currently fulltime employed in traffic management, I am wanting to get back into machinery and the main option for a better paying machinery job is in the mines. I have just started doing a generic mining induction course and this will get me my excavator and bulldozer tickets and my dump truck accreditation too. The problem i have is this, ten years ago i was working for a company that has the largest fleet of articulated 6wd dump trucks in AUS, the boss was my aunties ex and at one point they were engaged. The boss handed me a job driving the dump truck and within a few months offered me a brand new forestry mulcher along with all the training and a new work ute to go with it. He sent me to a nearby island to do some work in the sandmine there and within a week i was training a new guy to go on a new second machine. Then like a shot i was sent back to the mainland and demoted to dump truck driving again. We all assumed it was as a form off payback to my family for the break up of the engagement (though the reason for my demotion was never discussed). I called the boss to get a letter of competancy for some recognition off prior learning and he ended up offering me a position driving trucks again for him, the pay is much better than i am on now and i do love driving the volvo dumpers, The question i ask is this. would u go back driving for him for the short term while still planning to go off to the mines when possible (essentially using him to better myself) or say no thanks and just stay doing what i am doing or look elsewhere??? any input much appreciated thank

Replies6
  1. #1Grader4me2008-12-24 21:16

    Reading your story with interest. Now, if this was me I would want to get to the root of the demotion. It would definitely be discussed. Depending on the reason for demotion.... should give you the answer that you are looking for. My 02 cents..

  2. #2Red Bank2008-12-24 22:47

    I have been in your position to a degree. I went to work for a family friend 11 years ago, was promised a lot, never got what I was promised, there was only 4 employees at the time and I ended up in the trenches all of the time. Got fed up and quit, went back to being a mechanic at the trucking company I had quit. Fast forward to two years ago, the company has 35 employees, three construction crews and two sewer cleaning crews, and about 60 pieces of equipment. It had bothered my friend that I had quit before, and after a cooling off period I went on like nothing had happened. I helped him build his house and he started asking why I had quit and offered me a job taking care of all the equipment. I quit the trucking company again and went back to him. I have a company service truck, work my own hours, treat everything like it is my own, buy whatever I need to do the job, it is as close to perfect as a job could be. When I got my dump truck and track loader my friend got real nervous about me quitting again, we had a talk and I told him he had nothing to worry about. Finally getting to the point of all of this is talk to the man, be honest and straightforward, I think he has look back and realized he made a mistake and is trying to make amends. One thing I have learned is when someone comes looking for you to offer you a job, you are in the driver's seat and you can lay down your demands, or ask for a explanation of what went wrong before. If he won't talk, walk.

  3. #3milling_drum2008-12-24 23:03

    Family and employment do not mix. Hence a term Nepotism. Even when you are advantaged by family in employ, personal struggles can affect your economic position, directly affecting your day to day decisions/judgements. When that starts happening, the rest is a gamble. If, as an operator you have to contend with personal issues controling your day to day life which maybe negative, this may affect your ability to operate/maintain equipment.

  4. #4redline2008-12-25 07:38

    red bank i agree with ur comment about being in the drivers seat though i did make the first contact lol, but he still made an offer so he cant be to worried about things hey, thanks for all the comments and hope to get many more (deas where are you lol)

  5. #5emilbanks2008-12-25 09:08

    There is nothing like face to face communications. Look him in the eye and tell him what is on your mind, and find out what is on his mind. If you can read his body language you should be able to tell if it is a sincere offer. If you don't get a good feeling with the meeting walk away. Best advise I can give you Emil

  6. #6stock2008-12-25 11:44

    Have a chat get a resolution then when you do leave you can br sure no history will appear on the reference