To say I love this truck is an understatement. She sat in a garage in Ohio for years. With 62,000 original miles and a 6 speed manual, I expect to will this to my kids! Two questions: First, the brake sensor light is on but air pressure on the gauge is fine (120 psi, steady). I'm guessing a sensor is bad. Anyone know where it is? I think it's on the drivers side engine accessory but I'm lazy, so I asked. Second question. It has the original goodyear tires. They are in great shape but work around the farm is often in slightly damp dirt or loose soil. They fill with mud and spin out easily. What is a cheap more aggressive tire? A recap perhaps? Can I just change the back dually tires or should I change them all? Many thanks to this Forum. Y'all have gotten me out of a pickle many times.
Check on the firewall under hood air. valve block. No idea on tires but do have ag tires out there
Oh, your poor kids? Do they really want an Antique truck? It doesn't seem like that long ago we would see a lot of the 4700's and 4900's out and about. Now I almost never see them. Mine is a 1990 4900 in very good condition. My tires are pretty good for construction as they are designed for rougher roads. However they are terrible in wet weather for control and stopping. They are also not good off the road. Still, I love the truck! Hope you enjoy yours!
We use these Sailuns. Off shore (but ‘good’ off shore). Haved used them on 3 different trucks over the last 10 years or so. Lots of triaxle logging trucks here use these with good success. They are hauling heavy & steep…. For us less expensive than a good tire for my pickup!
Sailun S917 or (open shoulder, but less agressive) off-road S753. Canadian price:
Interesting, didn't realize that was possible. Could work well if only off-road. I wonder on quality though?
guy is running expensive ag tires I see'em going down the hwy doing 45mph to the next field
Steers fine Floats on the rear option for hwy legal if kids want to take the Cornfield limo to prom
Just get a set of Riblocks and it will be a happy medium. Pretty sure your casings are not up to a re-cap but the tire shop will tell you.
Thanks BC Placer!
I appreciate the tire help. On the question of the Brake Pressure Sensor. After lots of internet searching, I believe the sensor is not one but two sensors. Reading the differential across the available pressure to assist in braking (air over hydraulic). I found the two sensors on the Master Cylinder (see my fingers pointed at them). I pulled the connectors, hosed them down with contact cleaner, and the alarm cleared. Not sure if that was it but I'll take the easy win!
Master cylinder sensor might be the pressure switch for brake lights 2nd not sure but sounds like pressure warning. Right on