I am a beginner on the 360 , I have done about 100 hours (making mounds and digging ditches) in one but I am self taught with no one to ask. I am hiring a machine for 1 week and I need to maximise my time in the machine as I have loads to do , I can not afford a second week hire. I am building a bike track for racing off road bikes on. It has to have mounds of earth for the bikes to jump over as well as having 180yd approx straights with long and short corners. I have to remove the first 10 to 15 inch of top soil between the jumps and corners. This top soil is going for the jumps(mounds). My Problem is :- No tipper available so I am wondering what is the best way to move the dirt along track whilst removing it from the track. Am I better clawing back to the machine and moving backwards then clawing again and when there is too much in front then start slewing it to the back. Can you suggest the best way? I know you guys are falling over with laughter at this point but time is money and I aint got much of either.
Here they have these metal basins that you can load with your machine then drag to the new location. I'd look into renting one of those.
:cool2 Yeah , go on give my other leg a tug. Do I have to wash them with a bucket of steam and then paint them with tartan paint afterwards. Oh - how I hate being a green horn.
haymaking you have alot of double ,triple ,quadruple ,etc handling to do, the best and cheapest option is to rent a 9 ton dumper,the last ones we had were £250 for a week from hewden hire,the other option is to start at the beginning and keep putting your spoil behind you and keep moving it maximising your reach until you get it where you want it, when working between jumps start halfway and take half one way half the other take the time to work out what is going where to minimise multi handling good luck and take some pictures cheers graham
you should leave the topsoil on the track and use clay for the jumps, it will be a much more loamy track that way. if you take the topsoil your gonna be riding on hardpack. i've built a few tracks in the past and i still ride and race on occasion. put some pics up when your done.
Land owner requested the top soil to be kept safe , to enable the land to be farmed afterwards. Thanks for yur help..
it will still be there when your done. but if you have to use the topsoil for jumps try tilling in some saw dust from a local sawmill if you can get it. we do that all the time around here, its actually really fun to ride in. i'm guessing its good fertilizer too, so that might make the farmer happy.
why not rent a mid sized dozer?
built a track with a d 5 only took a weekend little light but great for shapen jumps
Iceberg210 wasn't joking...this is what he is talking about. Alot of rental yards around here have them. You load it up, drag it to where you need the material them unload it. Works good if you need to move material any distance with an excavator. FWIW, a dozer could easily accomplish everything you described. It's understandable if it isn't an option though.
what's in the pic is what we call a stone box....put our bedding material in there and dip it out w/excavator. really cuts down wasted aggregage
We call em Meizer boxes up here. I never really saw the use for them until I moved here and saw the massive ones they made for us. We have one big enough that a 375L grunts movin it around. http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/Burnout8506/Edmonton/Picture231Small.jpg had to post a link since the pic is too big to post here. You can see it above the 973 on the bank.
Hey ICEBERG210. I am sorry for my ignorance, I thought you was leading me on. At least I have learned something from my post. I will get hold of the rubbish skip and drag that around the field.
plan your dig I am not a bike rider but personally I would leave the bulk of the topsoil where it is. Strip the topsoil about three times the max reach of the machine either side of the jump you want to make. Pull the soil to you filling the bucket each time and cast it behind you. Try not to heap the soil up too much so you can travel onto it as you move back. Strip the width of the track you want then move back about three quarters of the machine reach and repeat. When you can reach the place for the jump pile material up, track it in and then go to other side and repeat. Building the first jump will be hardest and a steep learning curve, you will also learn if you have sufficient material or not. If you need more material dig wider rather than further away. For the banked corners pull the soil from inside of bend to outside. The tracks I have seen twist an awful lot so I suggest you think before you dig. Meaning throwing soil sideways for the next jump might be quicker than throwing it the other way for the one you were going to build :Banghead What part of Gods country :notworthy are you in, I have family on the wolds near Driffield.
AtlasRob Thank you for your help, this forum is a great source of knowlege. 25 yr ago I did an engineering apprenticeship and if we had a queery we asked our trainer this forum has the same sort of experience to offer. Please check your PM.
No worries, since I didn't know what to call it, (I've heard bedding boxes, notruck dump trucks, whatever) but they are very handy and there are even ones with wheels on the end of it so that you can wheel it around instead of having to drag or carry it around. Anyway thought the response was funny. And trust me I enjoy giving people enough of a hard time drinkup) but being new to alot of this stuff myself I know how hard it is to know what is serious and what is joking. No offense and no worries and hope the project goes well. Be sure to show us some pictures too!!!! Erik Berg
skips Never seen that sort of bin over hear but a neat idea. The last job I was on there was a lot of concrete to place in the building. Normally a pump would be used but the works manager came up with the idea of using a 6yd skip for the truck mixer to discharge into, then I bailed it with the bucket. We used to get rid of a truck in under 10mins. The skip held just over 3cu mtr concrete, so as soon as I had placed half, the truck was away. We then had a steady time to place the rest without worrying about waiting time on the trucks. The most we did was 24 trucks ( 144 cu mtr ) placed in floor slabs, walls columns etc in one shift. I used to pick the empty skip up between my blade and bucket and carry where ever I needed it.