Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I found another loader for cheap

Serv ยท 2007-07-25 13:02

I accidently stumbled across this clark 175B while making phone calls the other day. I was following a lead on an alligator shear and the guy said "yes we have one but it's not for sale" .... He said "we have a bunch of other stuff we need to get rid of though." That's when he mentioned two abandoned loaders at the back of his property. I was like "really?" I passed the Komatsu info and pics to the Singapore guy that bought my other Komatsu and I'd really like to own and fix up that clark for myself to have as a toy around the yard. The guy said someone offered 3000 for the clark a while back, but never came back. He said I could have it for "less than 3000" so I'll get up there within the next week or so. The clark was parked due to a knock coming from the engine. the engine is an 8v71 detroit screamer. A good friend of mine has a spare 8v71 he said I can have if I want it. I know this thing is ugly, but it has "Brute force and Ignorance" written all over it and I want to make it mine. check it out.

Replies49
  1. #1cat3202007-07-25 13:13

    well there ya go again at the right place and time and having a spare detroit to put in as well. that clark is unbelivable and it is everything you said and more. .

  2. #2salopez2007-07-25 14:11

    what about the komatsu? is it still for sale? how much? what size and does it run?

  3. #3Serv2007-07-25 14:23

    really? that's what I want to hear. I know nothing about these other than they don't bring very much money these days. it's a 1988 WA350-1. They pulled the engine two years ago to have it freshened and when they got it back, someone stole it out of their shop. So it's engineless and the engine is kinda hard to find. and yes, it is for sale but they're starting around 8 for that one. Doesn't seem worth it to me. :beatsme He says there's a guy that really wants to buy it. I'm betting he's the one that possesses the engine that was ripped off.

  4. #4salopez2007-07-25 16:17

    Thats crazy! If I could get it cheap enough I would go for it...I go to Japan everyonce in a while, and use to visit some of the Komatsu dealers when I lived there...I am sure I could find a used engine....or get a cummins to fit!

  5. #5cat3202007-07-25 16:26

    If i had a place to really park it and use one that big i would love to get it i looked at one at a local state agency awhile back that was up for auction but just to big for me .

  6. #6surfer-joe2007-07-25 22:37

    The Clark is a pretty good machine, fairly simple hydraulics and electrics. Geeze, a couple of the tires still have air in them even. That stutter in the engine may only be a bad fuel injector or maybe a busted or mis-adjusted tappet and rocker assembly. Be worth a look-see before you went to all the work of pulling that out. Good Luck!

  7. #7JBL2007-07-26 21:03

    Hey serv, just wondering if the passenger side seat in your pickup is available? I would like to ride around with you for awhile.

  8. #8Serv2007-07-26 21:20

    Sure, but it's getting kinda old and beat up.

  9. #9tdozer2007-07-28 01:54

    That Clark is worth every bit of $3000. We have 2 Michigan/clark 175 IIIA's and a 175B. The 2 "IIIA" models have 8V-71's and the "B" model has a Cummins. The older Detroit powered loaders have more pushing power, but the hydraulics dont have the UMMMPH that the "B" model does. The Cummins in the "B" model is gettin up there in hours(11,000). We are going to replace it with an 8V-71 Detroit. Just to see if it will get the power of the IIIA's. Needless to say I would grab that loader for that price. It's probably worth that in scrap these days.

  10. #10tdozer2007-07-28 01:57

    By the way, That loader looks like it could use a detroit instead a cummins.

  11. #11Countryboy2007-07-28 02:40

    Welcome to HEF tdozer! :drinkup

  12. #12Serv2007-07-28 06:32

    I'm pretty sure there's a detroit engine in it already. I'm tied up this week building my warehouse, but I'll do my best to get up there and buy it this coming week. It's an 8 hour drive for me to go get it.

  13. #13alan627b2007-07-28 21:43

    Serv scores again! That Clark looks like the "big stick" to me....get a set of forks for that baby and you'd have one heck of a tire changing machine! Keep us informed! Some old iron I spotted today.Michigan 280 dozer, Hough payloader, and a D9E serial #50A149. Good luck, alan627b

  14. #14alan627b2007-07-28 21:47

    I saw this Chevy boom truck for sale for $3500, bet you could use it...might be a bit of a drive to get it to Texas from here, though!

  15. #15Serv2007-07-28 22:07

    hey alan! nice old iron. Here's one I just happened to stumble upon a couple of hours ago. I've always seen it, but never drove in to check out what it is until today. This one could be had for free I bet. The property even looks abandoned. Anybody care to take a shot at what size/year Cat this is? These backyard finds are everywhere. :usa

  16. #16Serv2007-07-28 22:15

    here's two pics of a pull type sheepsfoot roller (single wide) that I saw during the same ride tonight. It's been there for at least 8 yrs that I know of. and in the third pic is a later model case skidsteer right in the middle of the photo. I haven't seen any activity there for a few years. the skidsteer is hard to make out, but it's the best I could do with the phone cam. the bottom pic is a random photo of two cars that have been on this 3 acre tract for many years as well as far as I've seen.

  17. #17alan627b2007-07-28 22:25

    That's an easy one, Serv. A well abused Caterpillar, 988a or possibly a 980. I'm betting 988 by what I can see. Amazing how people just park stuff and forget about it like that. Must be rough to have that kind of cash. But you see it all over. There'a a 977 K or L sitting at a closed down composting operation near here, been there at leat 8 years and counting.... This old Lorain was sunk up to the hubs in the ground, bet it's been there a few years.... You'd think they guy would at least want the money a 69 Roadrunner/Satellite and a 75 Ranchero would fetch, they'll probably just return to the earth...and with a little work, it could look like this,,,, alan627b

  18. #18Steve Frazier2007-07-28 22:29

    My guess was a 980, my buddy has a 988 of about the same vintage and it seems much bigger than this one.

  19. #19alan627b2007-07-28 22:35

    I'm thinking it's a 988, might look smaller cuz it's missing some parts and it's buried in the weeds......probably blew an engine, and thiose D342's are getting hard to find parts for...we run a bunch of 824/825B rollers, and cat's discontinued a lot of the parts for them. You'd think the guy would want the scrap money for it. alan627b

  20. #20Wulf2007-07-28 22:50

    Is that really a D342?... I worked on Caterpillars years ago and it looks something like a 1693, it also looks naturally aspirated (no turbo) :beatsme

  21. #21Serv2007-07-29 11:05

    I hate to sound like such a pack rat, but should I try to do something with it or is this one better off left alone? As for the guy wanting scrap money for it, there is a good chance the guy isn't around anymore. It may belong to an old lady now for all we know. I can certainly find out. You can't see by my photos, but the property is in complete shambles. Would it be worth trying to move this loader 8 miles to my new yard even if it's just to park it there? I have no shortage of space at my new place. machinerytrader has a dismantled machine section. Maybe I could put up an ad and part it out. :beatsme How on earth could I load this onto a trailer without paying big bucks? Would a four axle folding neck lowboy and a winch truck do the trick? There are many oilfield companies in my area that I personally know. Being in the tire business for so long, I can honestly say I'd be afraid to air the tires up on that machine.

  22. #22Squizzy246B2007-07-29 11:15

    Hi Serv, your a sucker for punishment aren't you. That sure looks like a 980 to me. Anyway, down at my brothers farm he was selling some sand to a development. The contractor picked up a 980B for $18K that nobody wanted and said it was screwed. He got it to the farm, spent some money, mainly on rubber and it loaded trucks for months....cost him $30K all up and thats what he sold it for when the contract finished.....cheap loading if you ask me. Good Luck

  23. #23Serv2007-07-29 12:17

    You can't blame a guy for trying to have a little fun. Besides, I think that old ugly thing would look nice in the corner of my yard. Believe it or not, I would probably try to crank that thing up the day I move it if I could verify the engine wasn't blown. I've looked around on machinerytrader, but I can't find anything that old or pinpoint even a year model. I'm heading out that way today, maybe I should stop by and take a better look? where do you think I can find a serial number or ID plate on it? Nice story, thanks.

  24. #24surfer-joe2007-07-29 13:47

    I'm thinking it's a 988. I might be wrong but I seem to recall the 980's of this vintage having the small 336 V-8 engine, but it's hard to remember back that far, plus I was never around either one much, thankfully. It is missing a lot of sheet metal and it is hard to tell. The D342 and the 1693 were very similar, maybe the same. The 1693 was mostly in trucks. Best way to load her out serv, is to remove the engine and transmission, sell them for parts, and cut the rest up for scrap metal or sell it to a scrappie and split the loot with him. Basically worthless other than that.

  25. #2572V2007-08-31 23:55

    I'm thinking if it's an inline six I see there, it's an old 988. An old operators manual I've got lying around for the 42H 980 shows it had a dual overhead cam V8 as Surfer-Joe said. I believe the six cylinder in the 988 was the D343 (5.4" x 6.5"), the industrial equivalent of the 1693 truck engine. The D342 (5.75" x 8") is a completely different engine.

  26. #26Rusted2007-09-01 06:20

    It's a very sad looking 988A....I'd run away screaming from this one.

  27. #27Loaderman3802007-09-01 22:09

    I agree with 72V and Rusted, I think it'sa 988A also. I spent a couple of years in one back in the late 70's

  28. #28Jt D9G2007-09-02 02:12

    Hey, The Clark-Michigan 175B's are pretty much impossible to kill, where i work we have 2 both with 8V71 Detroits and a 175 IIIA with a 6V71, Good Loaders, i can't complain about any of them,pretty easy to work on also when you haveto. I agree with everyone about that Cat Loader being a 988A, have 2 of those also, and spent some time on those.

  29. #29Countryboy2007-09-02 19:15

    Welcome to HEF Rusted! :drinkup

  30. #30Countryboy2007-09-02 19:15

    Welcome to HEF Jt D9G! :drinkup

  31. #31enerpat2008-03-06 02:52

    use a hydraulic alligator to cut the scrap metals http://www.enerpat.com to see more information

  32. #32FarmerAlex2010-10-30 20:35

    HI there all, i have come across a Clark 175 just wondering what these loaders were like. He's asking 15000 for it, wonder if its worth considering. Has a log claw on it at the moment.

  33. #33Komatsu 1502010-10-31 08:47

    Need to be more specific as to which series. The 175 changed hugely from the first series to the last. Size, weight, steering systems, everything.

  34. #34FarmerAlex2010-11-02 03:17

    I haven't got any solid details on it but here are some pics, i'm wondering how versatile these machines can be??? Is it possible to put a blade on the front in lieu of the bucket and do light dozing work? Photo's http://img41.imageshack.us/i/gc5038895004453319270.jpg/ http://img17.imageshack.us/i/gc5097880066357595265.jpg/ http://img59.imageshack.us/i/gc5340407293396798470.jpg/ http://img219.imageshack.us/i/gc5379343212865588396.jpg/ hopefully these links work cheers alex

  35. #35RonG2010-11-02 04:31

    They came equipped from the factory with dozer blades alex.Highway construction used them a lot to push fill and for high speed grading.Ron G

  36. #36Komatsu 1502010-11-02 07:19

    And in the winter of 79 the big contractor around here started up their Michigan dozer and used it to push snow back from the curbs. Hadn't been run in years but they still had it parked behind the shop.

  37. #37FarmerAlex2010-11-02 07:24

    Thanks for that Ron, I haven't had a look at it personally yet, will see what others think of it and then make a decision. Cheerio Alex

  38. #38shooterm2010-11-05 21:02

    Couple of 175's we always had parked at the pit. In total I think we had six of them. Still used them abit on smaller dirt work jobs but mainly put wings on them for snowplowing. Made for extremely quik plowing(funny those lots are done now by pickups). I really liked how simple these machines are and pretty much indestructible.

  39. #39shooterm2010-11-05 21:04

    forget it dont have time to screw around with resizing.

  40. #40FarmerAlex2010-11-05 23:12

    Gday heres the pics of the loader i have so far, i reckon with some TLC this machine could be a really good first piece of VERY heavy equipment. My intended use for it will be: >> Removing stumps >> Moving heavy rocks >> Bulldozing over small tree >> When money allows maybe a fail machine on the front to demolish scrub any other ideas or thoughts most welcome happy weekend all in Australia, and what ever day it is in other parts of the wrold Alex

  41. #41RocksnRoses2010-11-06 17:49

    Farmer Alex, that loader will certainly do all of those things and do it easy, we do all of that with much smaller loaders. My only concern is that it is an old machine, you haven't said how many hours, but because of the size, any repairs are going to be big dollars, if the parts are sill available. I guess if you can buy it cheap enough, work it till it stops and when it has a major heamorage, you will get a bit back for scrap. RnR.

  42. #42FarmerAlex2010-11-06 18:51

    RocknRoses sorry about that was going to put up the details. It has currently has 5883 hours on the clock. Its a 1981 model, so im thinking a 175 b. Given that on all tractors i have run, ones that i own and work on the general overhaul period for an engine is 10000 hours. So i should have plenty of life left in it. The reason i prefer to be a bit bigger is that i wont stress it as much hopefully addiing to the longevity. The only concern i have is the torque converter, given that Clark is no longer round i might be able to pick up a modern day derivative to drop in there. How feasible is it to road a machine like this??? Theres a lot of contractors who do road their machinery. I'm just wondering if people have trouble with registration and axle loading limits etc. Many thanks Alex

  43. #43RocksnRoses2010-11-06 19:33

    If those hours are genuine, it should have a lot of life left in it. We road our loaders all the time around here. It really depends on where you are and how often you want to road it. If you are out in the sticks on back roads as far as I am concerned, the less said the better, just do it. If you think you need to do it legally, you would have to speak to the DOT and see what the regulations are. In this state machines can be registered to drive on the roads as long as they have flashing lights and stop and turn lights. Weight would really only be an issue if you are crossing bridges. If all else fails, you would have to float it. RnR.

  44. #44FarmerAlex2010-11-06 21:37

    Will go and have a look at it i think, see how well it drives. I think 15,000 is a bit much for it, hopefully i might be able to negotiate a better price. How reliable are the Detroit motors? Is there any special areas i should look at for wear on a machine like this? What horsepower is this? i have read 385hp, but i've also read its less than that What sort of road speed can i expect to get out of it? thanks again alex

  45. #45RocksnRoses2010-11-07 06:14

    Detroit motors use a bit more fuel, make lots of noise and leak oil, but if they are in good nick, they are very reliable. When looking at the machine, run the engine, look for the obvious signs, try and start it cold, check that it is not blowing blue smoke when working, check the pins and bushes on the loader frame for wear, place the bucket on the ground, apply and release downward pressure on it and watch the loader frame in front of the cab for movement. If it moves backwards and forwards, the articulation bearings are worn. Drive the machine, dig and push material with it and if it does all that easy, there really is not much more than you can do. I am not familiar with that machine, so I have no idea what horsepower it is and what road speed it will travel at. Our Komatsu's travel a bit over 30 kmh. I read in a later thread, that this machine doesn't have a Detroit engine in it, what engine does it have in it? RnR.

  46. #46Komatsu 1502010-11-07 08:41

    I'm not saying that the hours on the clock are not correct but hour meters from the era were not very reliable. We've had machines that I changed the hour meters three and four times in their lifetime.

  47. #47FarmerAlex2010-11-17 05:30

    Sorry i haven't reposted back on here, had a car accident and uni exams so been tied up. Now about the loader, i had a look at it last weekend, it has been bogged in the mud, pretty close to sitting on its guts... The engine is a 6cly cummins diesel, the guy assures me that it is original. The guages all seem to work when the battery is switched on, so thats a plus, the cab seat is in good condition. When i asked him to fire it up, he tried to use his ute to jump start it, never the less he just sat there with the starter relay bouncing on the spring, however it did turn the motor over. The history of the machine is that he bought it off a bloke who used to run a forestry company, he lost his contract and just parked the machine, now this bloke bought it, has done some work with it and has bogged/parked it too. Now he wants to get rid of it. Apparently he told me that it is in good operating condition????. It seems like most things on it are quite serviceable, with cleaning im sure it could be a good machine. the only issue i have is he is asking 15000, way to much in my opinion. What do others think it is worth??? or should i just dodge it and look for another machine Cheers Alex

  48. #48oldseabee2010-11-17 06:43

    I wouldn't worry too much about the Clark converter, lots of rebuilders out there and parts still available through that outfit that Volvo sold the parts too or Clark/Hurth transmission. Detroit engines are used a lot and work well, they do tend to slobber and leak a lot.

  49. #49ruralexmech2010-11-17 19:09

    I posted something like this in the other thread, sorry its been so long since I've come online there :/