I'm missing my dip stick to my hydraulic fluid tank opposite the diesel tank. I'm trying to make me a dip stick for measuring my hydraulic fluid level. Can anyone take measurement on their stick. Thank You
Welcome to the forum, rnwsm. There's no hydraulic dipstick. There's a sight glass on the outside of the tank.
There is a slot under the fill cap for one, Cat want $70 for a used one just like on the diesel side
Did Cat give you a part number for the dip stick? I do know that many of the various Cat machines I worked on had the slot under the filler cap that would be used for a gauge/dipstick even if they did not come with one from the factory. I have a feeling that the filler neck parts are a more or less generic part used in many different applications some using "dip-sticks" and others where they have either a sender for an electric gauge or sight glass to measure fluid levels. From a quick look on SIS it seems most if not all the tanks have the sight glass. If yours does and you really want the dip-stick just fill to the full mark on the sight glass and take some generic dip stick and slip it down in the neck and pull it out and mark the level as full!
I happen to have the service manual for that machine and a parts manual for 955 SN 60A5000+ as well as my service and parts manuals for my 955K 85J. So I did some looking in them and on SIS. The service manual says to check the hydraulic fluid in the sight glass, no mention of a dipstick. I went through all 8 variations (types) of the tank assembly on SIS and couldn't find a dipstick, but they all had a sight glass. To double check, I looked at the fuel tank and Cat calls the dipstick a "plunger". So I searched on "plunger" and none shows up on the hydraulic system. But, a look at the parts manual for the 955 60A shows a "plunger" and NO sight glass. If Cat is quoting $70 for a dipstick--what's that dipstick to? Certainly not a 955K 61H! Makes me kinda curious.... rnwsm--out of curiosity, what section of MO are you in? I'm pretty much south central, half-way between St. Louis and Springfield, more or less.
Well I looked in SIS under 61H622 and saw they call the "dip-stick" for the engine a gauge so I did a search for that and none shows for they hydraulic tank. Sure would like to know the part number Cat is claiming they have for $80.00
We are SE of Springfield about 100 miles (West Plains).
Got the power washer out and did some cleaning...can read the sigh glass now.
Mine has a sight glass but I cannot see thru it. I use a paint stir stick which I marked. Then I found out the bottom of the screen fill tube equals the lower level of the sight glass. The top of the sight glass is about an inch above that. So any stick will work, remove the cap and drop in until it hits bottom