Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I have a confession….

DDoug ยท 2015-10-27 07:14

Please find attached pic (picked it up saturday..... )

Replies18
  1. #1maddog2015-10-27 08:06

    looks like fun

  2. #2DDoug2015-10-27 08:10

    IT HAS A SCREAMING 6-71 DETROIT ! Ahem, it's an Allis Chalmers HD-19 with a 6-71 detroit, and a torque convertor

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-10-27 12:00

    I love it. Its important that the neighbors know when you are working so they don't come over to bother you. LOL

  4. #4kshansen2015-10-27 15:24

    Digger just don't get out there too early in the morning, Erie isn't that far from Central NY! I like to sleep in a bit since I retired back in April Does look like a fun toy.

  5. #5DDoug2015-10-27 20:34

    The W&S 211 I own has a 4-71.....

  6. #6Blk prince2015-10-27 23:13

    Run them both and sit back. If you ever replace cable on blade,do a diagram. So few around and if you an not remember direction you will curse.

  7. #7Scrub Puller2015-10-28 01:42

    Yair . . . digger doug. Tad of an oil leak on that nearside OB bearing may bear checking if she is going to be doing any work . . . there is a pretty fancy bearing in there and it could be an issue in those old girls. Cheers.

  8. #8DDoug2015-10-28 06:54

    Thank you, yes, it sat in a specially constructed pole barn (which I helped build) for around 10 years. I see that leak is fresh, will check rear gear levels shortly, as well as transmission.

  9. #9maddog2015-10-28 07:17

    :thumbsup :thumbsup

  10. #10Scrub Puller2015-10-28 16:53

    Yair . . . Gotcha digger doug. She will have gear oil in the two speed but the converter uses diesel fuel from the tank . . . you can get addicted to the sound and smell of the Jimmy and the fumes and tang of hot converter diesel in the morning. (big grin) Cheers.

  11. #11bobcat12015-10-28 18:18

    You gotta love new play toys! :thumbsup

  12. #12DDoug2015-11-05 10:14

    Got a manual off of e-bay. (operators but does cover all the lubrtication) and it says nothing about it, looked for a drain plug around there, nothing. You got me worried, I want to get in some run time this weekend, I note the right hand side is dry. Is there a little reservoir in the rear sprocket hub ? The right hand being dry worries me it may be all gone as well as the wet left side being down. Or is it somehow all part of the final drive sumps (left and right are separate)

  13. #13Scrub Puller2015-11-05 14:31

    Yair . . . digger doug. From memory the outboard bearings are lubed by the final drive oil . . . any persistent leakage generally indicates a developing problem, or as it has been standing it's probably the seal. Work it for an hour or so and see if both sides are running about the same temp by feel. Cheers.

  14. #14DDoug2015-11-05 15:01

    Thanks, will clean and remove level plug on both final drives (very easy to get at) right under the winches. So they must of drilled the rear sprocket shaft to allow final drive oil a way to get out to that outboard bearing ? As it has been sitting inside a barn for at least 10 years, I figured a seal is a bit dry.

  15. #15oldtanker2015-11-05 15:39

    They area cool old crawler but parts are made of unobtainium! Sense my hearing went to heck I don't much care for them old Detroit's. Rick

  16. #16old-iron-habit2015-11-05 19:42

    What did you say. (Hand is making megaphone by ear).

  17. #17movindirt2015-11-05 21:54

    I'm surprised no one has mentioned how comfortable that seat looks

  18. #18DDoug2015-11-06 19:02

    It's just sitting there....first time driving it, I had to drive it up on the lowboy, Nothing for me to hang onto, and the seat is not bolted down....yikes