I've been seriously wondering why there have been no more 60+ page threads on this forum about........you know.......oil pressure and such. After weighing all the possible reasons I could think of......there is only one that makes perfect since. There is wayyy too much knowledge here. There is too much specialized info and support here. Too many friendly faces and too many willing to help. SO, if we want to be entertained by a lengthy, entertaining thread......those kind that you can't wait to get home, cook up some popcorn, or have a nice drink to be entertained for days or weeks on end....well, there is only ONE solution. We all need to dumb down. Let me know what percentage of dumb down you are willing to sacrifice. LOL Great job fellas..........Have a great day!
If it’s a laugh you need. Some Canadian humor Ten or so seasons on hulu
0% I don't have much up there to begin with.
We all enjoy a good train wreck! Too soon?
I don't know, I think it is an issue with the quality of new members. Not enough over confident retired guys with big egos and disposable cash. Maybe some targeted advertising?
I'm already digging a trench to get under my personal level of stupidity. China can't be too much further I'm thinking.
You need to get on one of the F B truck groups until then you havent read any thing.
Looked at those, GREAT for a Laugh!! I Too not the sharpest knife in the drawer and DO have Popcorn in the maker!
As I have a habit of saying to my wife when she starts a conversation with "I think" (I must be either fireproof or have a death wish) "You're not half as smart as you think you are"..........
FFS. Just reseal the swivel
Too many people warn the would-be next great thread starter. Said person looks up the reference and realizes they don't want that kind of fame and retreat back into anonymity.
Well if'n you want me to work out the math to figure out the percentage of how much to dumb down then I can't be being dumb enough to dumb down, no more than if I dumb down enough to be dumb enough to not how how to figure the math then I'm gonna be too dumb'd down to give you the percentage.
Catch 22
I don't maths either.
ROAD TRIP!!!!!
Some days I wish I was an idiot like most of the world sure seems to be so I wouldn’t be pained by their stupidity. And hell I’d probably make more, because they always have money to spare.
They seem to get promoted more often too.
I don't know how my last manager at a big industrial supply managed to keep a job let alone being promoted to manager. She was always the last one to show up, the 1st one to leave and had the stupidest excuses for not coming to work. It was largely because her boss was hundreds of miles away at the main office in another province. I had to ask her something one day and she tried to hide her cel. phone while I knocked on her open door. She had to stay home 1 day because she had a flat tire. Another time she had to leave early to take her kid to a Dr's. appt. despite the fact I heard her say that her firefighter husband, who was home could take the kid. Worst was when she pulled the translucent shades in her office, closed the door and slouched down in her highback chair with the back turned to the window, put a kind of shawl on and had a nap for about an hour and a half. My cubicle was right in front of her office and you could still kind of see in her office. She woke up and came out kind of groggy looking because she had to go to the bathroom. Another guy who'd been there 40 years said he's never seen anything like it. She never lifted a finger to help us out like the old manager did. On a Friday before a long weekend she let us all go home an hour and a half early. Great for us but not so much for customers looking for help. The boss says you can go home, I'm not questioning it. Most deserving person to get booted out of a job I've ever witnessed. Apparently she pulled the same crap as an account manager according to a branch manager that knew her.
Diversity is a powerful factor in incompetence getting and keeping jobs. It always disgusts me to see a useless jackwagon getting a job they would never get if they didn’t check a box for political correctness.
News noted today, with economy tanking, first jobs on Block are Diversity, Equity and one other but was laughing too hard to hear the third!!!
I worked with one of those types. During the first week he got majorly hurt doing something anyone with half an ounce of common sense (and certainly someone with the amount of experience he claimed to have) would know not to do. I even explicitly told him not to do it but apparently I was just a dumb kid at the time. After that incident I distanced myself from him and never took any of his advice. He pulled me aside one day and tried claiming I was a racist and that's why I don't like him. Without skipping a beat I fired back something along the lines that I didn't like him because he was an idiot and he hadn't shown me any respect.
"When taking into account how stupid the average person is, just remember, half of them are even more stupid than that". A fact that continues to prove itself true.
George Carlin.
He was GOAT
When I worked for the government I knew a man who interviewed for a position that was a promotion up from his current one and that he had been handling as a temporary fill in, was well qualified, and signed the offer letter then a woman who was not nearly as qualified threatened to sue because she didn’t get it, they took it from him and gave it to her, and told him if he didn’t like it tough but he had to train her to do the job. So he quit. I had the misfortune of working for her and she was horrible, always invented family emergencies to get out of her on duty weekends, and I had to constantly cover her. She was so hateful too, her boss (also my higher level supervisor) even tried to get me to lay the pipe to her since I was single so that she’d be nicer lol but I wasn’t having it lol
What's coming down the pike is not very promising, either. My wife is a middle school teacher. Kids can't read an anolog clock, can't count change to make a dollar, don't know how many weeks in a month or months in a year, and the list of daily discoveries about the underachiever 5th graders goes on. Absolutely lost in basic concepts that I thought all 5th graders should know. Most are lazy, incompetent and totally clueless, as she reports episodes on a daily basis. The worst part about it? This "No Child Left Behind" bs. No matter how low a student's grade, they can NOT be failed and they are pushed along within the system to the next grade. And many of the kids know it so they don't apply themselves, and their parents don't care. It's a pretty sad state of affairs that will only continue to erode our once great society. However, I think I know what's coming in the future.....really soon, unfortunately. If you watch this, don't think of it as a "stupid movie" but instead, view it with the relevance of our current state of affairs. It's like seeing into the future, unfortunately. Mike Judge really nailed it with this one now that I realize how far ahead of his time he was when he wrote this.
New Brunswick is a bilingual province. If you want a government job, you are farther ahead if you are able to speak english and french. There has been a shortage of ambulance drivers, as the official languages act won't allow them to hire english only. The qualified person is often passed over for the less qualified french speaker.
My partner works in Healthcare at an extended care facility. A new hire is supposed to do orientations of new employee's as part of her job but has made up ridiculous excuses for missing work on days when she's supposed to do orientations. She thinks its beneath her. If you're getting food poisining every night before an orientation is really suspect. Anybody else working there requires a Dr's. note if they are calling in sick more than usual. My partner is a back up but can't get her normal work done when she has to do last minute orientations. This new hires boss is real piece of work and won't say anything to the new hire because she doesn't like the site manager at the care facility. The new hire hasn't even reached her 1000hr/6 month's probation but made a comment about her and my partner (who's been there about 20 years) doing the tours of the new $400 million plus extension to the facilty. My partner just kind of shook her head in disbelief. Orientations for new hires are beneath you but you figure you should be one of the people to give tours of the new addition. Isn't that basically the same as giving orientations except for a different group of people? What makes you think you should be doing it. A new hire that figures she can decide what she wants to do instead of what the job description says she should do? The worst part is the site manager who is higher up than the new hires boss is reluctant to say anything for fear the new hires boss will retaliate against him. She apparently is condescending and nasty to just about everyone but the COO really likes her. Of course she's in human resources. My experiences with human resources is they are usually just company suck ups that think they are the most important people in the company and everybody else is below them.
Half the kids in my grade 8 class couldn't read an analog clock and that was almost 20 years ago now.
I can read an analog clock but prefer a digital watch. My partner works in healthcare and sets her car to show a 24 hour clock like the military. It always takes a few seconds to deduct 12 from what the clock says in the afternoon to figure out what time it is. She even stumbles the odd time. I worked in a tank shop years ago that some blueprints were standard and some were metric as in millimeters. They made everybody have to get someone else to verify the metric measurements before they proceded. It was a mistake just waiting to happen. Lazy draftsman. Most other shops would convert the measurements to standard because that's what everybody was used to. Metric is more accurate and used in aircraft manufacturing but it takes some getting used to when you haven't used it very much.
My wife has two sisters, one graduated HS last year and one will graduate next year. The one that graduated last year cannot write past the fifth grade level nor is her reading and speaking skills are as polished as they should be. This is a result of No Child Left Behind and poor teachers who just mark their grades up and pass them along especially in the face of the endless standardized testing. I met my wife when this girl was back still in elementary school. I paid attention all these years to how the two sisters talk about school and their teachers and boy howdy do they inadvertently reveal some modern teaching practices. A thinking man looks at the widespread poor quality and results of this stuff and starts to think that maybe, just maybe, a poor education that results in adults unable to think for themselves or have more advanced life skills is the goal and not just a happenstance result.
Several years ago a teacher here was fired for failing a student. The student wouldn't get a tutor or stay a few minutes after class if they didn't understand. They were supposed to do a book report and never even tried. There was so much backlash from people outraged over the firing that the teacher got his job back. He said he'd do the same thing again for any student who didn't even try. I would agree there are some awful teachers though that just keep going full speed ahead with the 4 or 5 students that understand what's going on and the 15 or so other students are left to try and figure it out and fall behind. Not everybody learns at the same speed. It doesn't make people dumber because certain things take them longer to comprehend. There are things these people excel at that others would take longer to comprehend.
My wife hates the new standards and curriculm that has been forced upon her. This Learnzillion stuff that I get to hear about nightly comes out of Louisiana. That state is 47th or so in standing within the 50 states. Likely NOT the best choice for teaching programs available but it's all about politics anymore within the school administrations. She watches her school slide backwards in academics. It has to be frustrating for someone with her experience of turning failing schools into state leaders years ago but she is passed over due to politics and not originally being from the local area. It's like leading that horse to water.... Too many useless idiots in the school system trying to justify their jobs by pushing their ideas of standards and failing to provide students with a solid foundation of basics in R,R & R. The administration worries about fluff and optics, not the basics for analytical thought. It's all about data, charting and testing. They force teachers to follow less than adequate curriculum programs and teach the students to pass the standards tests, and if they don't pass, they get pushed along anyways. It's all a bad joke on society and I usually get to hear about it nightly. I know that I would be thrown out of there if I was forced to work with the idiots that I get to hear about. I have a low tolerance for stupidity.
Not only are the administrators solely concerned with their prestige and little kingdoms they are the reasons the HUGE amounts of tax money that go into the school systems disappear. We collect enough property, sales, and lottery money in this state to fund schools with golden toilets but almost all of it disappears into the coffers of the administrators, school boards, and local politicians. I could write a book about the corrruption of my hometown’s school system. Where else do you get a system that hires a superintendent and assistant supers at vastly inflated salaries and then hires their spouses as “consultants” for 90% of the salary and pays them that for LIFE???
All we need to improve the schools and the kids education is more money. That will fix it. Money, more money.
I am so glad I don't care what people think and I don't choose to use 'my filter'. I also seem to have an innate gift to know what truly offends people and am more than willing to pepper my interactions with said material. It seems to 'cut to the chase' quickly.
A well educated populace that knows how they are getting f*^%&$ is bad for the people who own everything. I would add that the 'teachers' were 'educated' in the same system. They also do not have the ability to think. We have had an indoctrination system, not an education system, since I was in school (kicked out of class of '87).
I do not think they are any worse than the teaches that slows everything down to try to keep up the 'tail end' students. The system is the big problem.
The guy that has delivered my coveralls for the past twenty years showed up about five years ago with a trainee fresh out of high school. He told me he was taking over a different route where he would have more driving time and less drops and would require training to access some of the sites and he would make more money and a bit of overtime. He was looking forward to the change. Two weeks later he has another trainee about the same age the first one didn't work out. After five young trainees they gave up and he is still doing the same route five years later. The job required a basic driver's license a clean driving record and the ability to lift sixty pounds and the ability to read well enough to identify where to drop of the various bags and bundles of clean laundry. It also paid a decent wage.
The real issue is that parents drop their kids off and school and think that those kids are now only the school's responsibility. From my experience, the quality of kids coming into any industry or job is directly proportional to the quality of their parents. Bad schools and teachers means bad parents who don't hold the schools and teachers to better standards. How many of you making claims here are members of school boards or even testified at school board meetings? How many have applied some kind of punishment on their kids for poor performance or bad behavior in school? The public school systems only provide the opportunity to get an education. It is up to the parents to ensure their kids take a hold of that opportunity.
When I went to school, I had homework every night. Kids never have homework. I don't even know what my daughter is doing until report cards come. " How's school? Good." " What are you doing now? Stuff."
My daughters tried that line with my wife. Kind of didn't work. Show me took on a new meaning in accountability.
I went to a trade school that specifically hired experienced trades people to be the instructors. I say instructors because they would actually show you how to do stuff. What was really sad is that the school was often referred to as a dummy school. I got a welding apprenticeship right out of school at $7.31/hr. while all the smart kids in regular school were fighting for a $3.50/hr. job at McDonalds.
Very much so. It goes way beyond that in many cases. The term {chip off the old block} is probably a perfect term. Children have a tendency to emulate their parents to a high degree. Simple application-dad or mom or both driving the kids where ever that never really stop at stop signs-kid learns that sign really doesn't mean what it says, it's pink and says sort of stop. So the word {no} is actually nothing more than gray area. Rules are meant to be broke only strange nurdie people obey rules like stop signs. Society is obsessed with {fast}. I need information fast/right now, an hour is too late and your holding me up. The information channel of what I'm using right now plus the I-Phone has caused a break down in responsibility of the people to learn on their own-or by reading a manual. It's too easy to jump and go to Youtube and merely copy what someone else videoed or quote authority without any original thought. People of all ages learn far more when faced with the struggle of dealing with issues more on their own than relying on someone else. I'm old school, I like to look in a Manual read how a piece operates then go to work.----All of the above is why parts changers exist, don't know what makes it go and don't care. The biggest thing a parent can do for their children that will carry for all their days-teach them to read and comprehend. And make them understand fast means nothing just instant gratification. The sign below says it all-instant gratification--Garbage in Garbage out.
A lack of critical thinking by parents leads to indoctrinated children who can/won't think. Luckily I had a father who went off his rocker when I did dumb stuff when as a young bullet proof fella and the consequences were mine to sort out. It taught me to think before doing stuff was easier than thinking how I was going to overcome the crap I created. The lack of consequences is also terribly lacking in the world today
My Mother worked at St Charles MO board of education late 60s, she often stated the schools system was in trouble then where class sizes were nominally 35-45 and totals for a grade year close to 500 for the district while growing. She called the Administrators “Monument Builders” as the old school buildings were fine just needed more satellite schools where the New Design against Student Numbers were massive new engineering marvels to which kids became numbers on a ledger nothing more. Concentrate in massive structures fewer teachers to cost the district and gave up caring if children failed while being shipped into next grade level like cattle regardless if ready. My first years were in the old satellite small school, batter teacher attention and ability to aid those struggling to actually make the grade. My final years were in a cattle pen so I quit.
To be honest, about 90% of what I learned after grade 9 has been absolutely useless to me so far in life. School ruined a ton of stuff for me. As a kid I loved reading, I'd chew through a stack of books in a month. Then English class comes along and I can't just read a book for the enjoyment. Oh no, they had to suck absolutely every last drop of joy out of reading. I'd have to read a chapter, answer questions about it. Then at the end of the book, write a character or story analysis essay. Like I honestly give a **** about the underlying theme, I just want enjoy the story.
Seems like everyone is to blame except teacher union.
Here is my theory... this is society today.
I feel like that would be all of us HEF members going through a saloon door.
The blind leading the blind in many instances. I never graduated conventional high school myself as seen it far too much of a time waster for what I was capable of achieving on my own. However, several years later I returned to evening classes and do have a high school diploma earned through this action. Instead of a yet needed 2.5 years to garner credit requirements, I did it in six months.
I don't think I've ever been asked for proof of highschool diploma for any job.
I just drop a DD214 and any questions of any diploma's, or GED's are never brought up.
I have one of those DD-214 certificates also. Only needed it once for my working career.
I guess I'm on the other end of the education spectrum. My top degree is a BS in ME but I hated sitting at a desk and I'm not fit to live in congested civilization. It does help with some of what I do, at times. Common sense and the will to work hard are the most important factors that have made me successful and to be able to live the life I want. Anyone can succeed here in the USA, but only if they want to. Life is a selection of choices and it's all up to the individual to what level that they wish to find success. Losers make excuses, winners think, adapt and overcome with logical choices. It's not rocket science to be successful but it will take effort and good choices. Too bad much of today's youth is not taught this mantra.
I read something from Gene Simmons a while ago. He says a lot of controversial things but as far as success I liked what he said. It was along the lines of, Sometimes having a little luck and being in the right place at the right time can be all you need to kickstart your success. It still takes a lot of hard work and effort but a little good luck is all some people need. There was a No Fear poster years ago: "You must always push the limits because if you never fail you will never succeed"
Had to have every diploma or cert I received from HS out and DD214 to get on at the utility GED, Trade School, every engine co program and ASE cert I ever had. Then they somehow pulled up my final SAT from HS in some electronic record.
All those certs are good for what? Had a repair shop for 30 years, not one customer ever asked me if I had a business license, use tax permit, hazardous waste permit, fire permit, ASE certs, nothing. They did ask could I fix it & why did it cost so much. Joe H
It might be a different story if something you fixed was involved in an accident. Not necessarily because the repair or part was faulty but because it may be a requirement to have all these certificates in order to operate a repair shop. Kind of along the lines a person causes an accident with a legally impaired driver. Impaired driver can automatically be found at fault even if they did nothing wrong.
No a teenager that thinks his 87 model pick up is the best thing g ever and that he is going to fix it up and drive it forever makes for some laughs also
Because of the decade I started-it was apprentice and journeyman. I am grandfathered on DOT or any other requirements, therefore no ASE certs. I still have certificates for hydraulic and air brake systems required under DOT/FMSC regulations. I had a tough time reading when I was real young, mostly because I missed a lot of grade school living on the dairy farm. I taught myself how to read by reading Chiltons and Motors repair manuals. By the age of 10 I could rattle off engine specification of darn near any auto manufacture quicker than some with baseball statistics. I had some good teachers also. Ones that made learning interesting, one biology and another history. I had a draft card-1A Random 22, the war ended and draft stopped. Had there been a draft I would have gone. I quit HS halfway through my senior year, thought I had better things to do like drink and ride around in what we thought were fast cars but weren't. Went to CWU and acquired a GED. Cut my hair and got a real job just like my big brother Bob. Is Mike smart-depends on the day and who you ask. Do I think I'm smart only for what I know today because tomorrow will come with something more to learn. But I Still Like My Rock & Rollllll-----Get after it George.
The only thing all those permits were good for was someone to come around and F with me. Hazardous waste permit was the worst. If you ever have a choice between haz waste permit and herpes, go for the herpes. Joe H
Back when you were 10 only vehicle manufacturer around was Ford Model A I think I see you in the background...
Wouldn't it be nice if vehicles and equipment today were as simple to work on as back then.
Sixty years ago, when I went to grade school in NYC, there were half dozen or so classes of each grade. The classes were grouped according to academic level. The teacher taught to the class average level. Few kids were bored or out of their depth. If they were, the school moved the kid to an appropriate class in the grade. This system changed with "Mainstreaming" All the kids are mashed together regardless of capacity. Don't want to damage a kid's self esteem. (We kids knew which kids were slow) Now, most of the class is either bored or clueless. (my children's classes were terrible that way) Teachers are not to blame for today's system results. It's the "Modern way" of participation trophy for every kid...
Now days young guys are held back here by dumb crap like fighting to get a drivers licence ,even the good kids cant seem to navigate the system until they hit thier 20 s. Thats a hold back for any young guy with some smarts and ambition. when i was young you could be driving fully licensed by 16 1/2 years. I didnt do worth a crap on the academic side of school ,but excelled in shop class from summers working in a logging camp. My shop teacher saw the writing on my wall and made some calls for to our local vocational school. He gave me a name and phone number for the head instructor in the welding school. I went there ,bought my own rods and supplies and paid rent on the booth. In 2 weeks they had me doing the 3 position weld on 1" plate well enough to challenge the test which i passed .Had what was then the DPW#3 ticket before i graduated from HS. and i was off to the races. That fall i went up to the north Island walked into the first logging outfit shop i saw and asked this old time Master Mechanic if he need a welder (didnt know they were desperate for a welder). He asks what f%ck i knew about welding and i told i had the DPW#3 ticket. He scoffs at me and says ill give you till noon.Sends me out in the Port Hardy November rain to gouge the trunion pockets off a D8 Cframe and get it prepped for new pockets.Came into the shop at lunch soaked ,he just barks at me go eat your lunch and I carried on from there and never looked back .Id just turned 18 and was pulling journeyman rate. A year later i was rebuilding that big bucket in my avatar with another guy.Ive always just kept my eyes and ears open to learn . I dont think those that can do it today are given any kind of a chance .Beurocracy and BS every where.I dont say this to knock schooling or training ,i just chose a different route.
When I was in high school there were zero shop classes, car insurance for a 16 year old was almost robbery, and the only jobs available to someone under 18 paid $10/hr because all the high schoolers were trying to get a job and they were fast food. All the other area jobs were not an option due to insurance requirements. I was lucky to grow up in the country were old farmers couldn't have cared less and paid me $15 under the table and worked me into the ground earning it.
its wrong that young people are robbed on insurance when they start out like they are here.Seems guilty until proven innocent prevails here . Give them the rules most dont screw up ,if they do then they pay.No different than the rest of us adults.
What was the purpose of this thread again?
I guess we are wandering a bit
Get dumb.
Rediculous. My premiums dropped significantly once I no longer had to deal with ICBC.
I don't recall my insurance rates being particularly high from the time I got my driver's license. It came done alot once I got my class A I seemed. Only around 80 or so a month for full coverage on a pick up and liability on the dual sport.
Mine wasn't particularly expensive either being about $55.00 a month with an annual premium paid at once for full coverage and no deductible comprehensive. Used to have a $500.00 collision deductible for years, but have changed that to $1000.00 on collision coverage. I drive older stuff so one good hit and the vehicle washes out anyways. That dollar figure was in 1976 dollars so what it equates to today I don't know. I am on a federal retirement brokered insurance policy for the personal auto insurance and it's less than $300.00 a year for two vehicles with the same coverage limits aforementioned. Both vehicles are older.
Over in the corner of the shop there are 4 or 5 old truck seats, a stack of tires and a bench that is mostly used for random clutter, the coffee maker and sitting on. Here, if you come in at the right time, you will find a bunch of old guys sitting drinking coffee and smoking, pontificating about what is wrong with the world, machines, the Republicans and the weather.
I think one of the hardest things now for any person wanting to join a new trade/career is that when we all started there was little to no legislation/rules etc and we have been brought up with them being drip feed to us so had time to digest and learn each bit as its come out, now fast forward to current times and the reams of paperwork. I looked at moving to be an electrician...... yeah sod that! We are now on edition 18 of the legislation for electricians and its the size of an old phone book!!
I was very lucky that i didnt have a wreck but i never had any insurance till i was 22 years old i think thats when they started making you have it.
In 08 insurance on my little truck was $150 just liability and that was after getting agriculture discounts; no wrecks, tickets, or other issues either. Add in 40 years of rah-rahing about higher education or you'll be broke and no even bothers considering trades. Even now guys have to invest in a two year tech school before they even know if they like wrenching or not, I'd like to do try it a year or two before investing that kind of money. Bonus is when you start school you can get into the details as you have big picture knowledge to work from.
My Neighbors son is heading for his 4th shot at the drivng test.3rd failure was because he didnt back the car up slightly when pulling out from a paralell park.Didnt hit the car in front ,but the examiner was so short she couldnt see over the dash.His Dad went in to find out what the problem was and she said he drives just fine just needs practice on the parallel parking. Complete BS here the kid runs equipment and drives around home. I asked him if he was buying a pickup and he said no the insurance for pickups is too much.We used to use our pickup to earn cash hauling stuff and cutting fence posts. He has to go on his parents insurance because the ICBC insurance is so expensive. We are doomed fail by beurocracy.
Does anybody on here in a trade, wrenching or otherwise, go to trade school like college because you "needed a job"? Reflecting on it myself, my dad was a choker setter for a couple weeks until they discovered he could wrench, then he was a wrench fixing things by day and running for parts by night and sleeping when he could. Then he was a shop teacher and I was in his classroom/shop after hours and at night when single digits. Also doing my own wrenching and electronics and electrical/construction and banging on computers since I was single digits, my business of generator service was kind of a logical progression of my skills, but I only have about 6 semesters of school on these subjects, all self taught by my own interest. I found the school fun and interesting but got in the way of real work time. Oh yes I was also driving tractors and trucks back then, without supervision. Anyway it sometimes pops up on here that many are in the same boat, started before you could drive. Any on here who started "later in life" i.e. high school or college age?
Well let's not let the old men's political discussion bleed over to HEF...
ICBC was created by the NDP government in 1976 the year I turned seventeen. The summer of 1976 I bought a 1969 Chevy Biscayne two door for $350.00. Because I was under twenty five and a new driver it was going to cost me over $700.00 for basic insurance for a year. It was out of my reach so I sold the car.
I was just starting to drive when ICBC a started. We drove my Dad’s car because it had “Business insurance” (coverage for under 25 included) subsidized by his employer. This allowed my brother and I to drive without paying the big money for insurance until we could afford our own cars. Cam
What's truely sad was the insurance costs thru ICBC on my first car was 1/3 of its purchase price each year.
From 16 to 18 I was on my parents insurance and I don't remember what the extra cost was. When I was 18 I bought a 2011 f350 (been mid 2015) I got my own and I don't think it was even 100 bucks a month for full coverage. My lady freind called for a quote on a car yesterday and it was 200 a month.
I’ve always wrenched at home on cars, the tractor, boats, small engines, and general house repair). Spent 7 years working in the public sector in a different career path and decided that I wanted to be paid a lot more. I was 26. The only way into the heavy equipment industry (every ad in the 2014 era was “must have 3-5 years experience) was by going to school or knowing somebody. I went through a combination apprenticeship and school program (Think Big). The big benefit for me was learning electrical and hydraulic systems in a formal setting. It was a hard two years to go without steady income but it was a square deal for me to completely change careers. We were paid while in the shop but at school we were on our own.
Apprenticeship required here. Spent my grade 12 year in a pre-app course and then went through the 4 years of apprenticing.