Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I just bought a 94 F700 and need help!

69zfarmer ยท 2009-11-08 09:34

1994 F700 Cummins,34,000 miles,automatic trans.,air brakes,33,000 rated,10' Heil dump body, I did not get a manual with so i have some questions.Where can i buy a manual or website covering fluid specs,filter numbers,etc.?Would it have a Allision trans.?What type of transmission fluid do i need because it is low?The dipstick for trans. is twisted bad and i do not know if it is short from all the twists but it does not show any on dipstick.It does not leak so if it is low it has been that way for awhile.Because the owner has had it for 3 years and has not serviced the trans.I would not hesistate to change the fluid and spin on filter if i knew how much and type fluid and filter number.Please Help!

Replies1
  1. #1willie592009-11-08 11:41

    You can go to Wix website and look up filter numbers. I suppose you have the 5.9L Cummins engine, it would use 15W/40 diesel oil. The twisted transmission dipstick is made like that. You probably have a dipstick tube that does multiple bends, a flat dipstick wouldn't go down it. It's possible you have an Allison tranny. The tranny is probably dirty on the outside, but most Allison tranny's have the name or the Allison swirl logo somewhere on the castings. I'm fairly sure they use Dexron fluid. Some models have an external spin on filter. Other models have filter inside the tranny housing, usually accessed by removing a cover plate on the bottom of the tranny held in place by 4 bolts. I could be wrong, but I think the 4000 tranny has two internal filters on the tranny bottom. Allison recommends Castrol TranSynd oil. Here's a link to a PDF of the Allison commercial models that might help you a little. http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=SA3743EN.pdf