I get this excavator delivered this weekend and would like to start with changing the engine oil before using it. I've done some searching but haven't found any info on changing the oil. If anyone knows, is it straight forward with one drain plug and a screw on filter? I'll look into getting a service manual soon but would like to get the oil changed ASAP before I run it some this weekend when getting it. Any other info on this model would be appreciated as well. I think this is a 2004 model year and it doesn't have the "Super Series" decal on the side which is the first time I've noticed a KX121-3 that didn't say Super Series. Is the "Super Series" an option package that was offered on these or just a name added on later year models? Any major changes made from 2004 to later on models? Mine just has the straight blade and I know there are options for an angle blade and 6-way blade.
I have a 161-3 of the same vintage and it has been an excellent machine. The Super Series has a different control panel and more electronics and typically had the angle blade even though it was an option. The 121 and 161 share the same engine so the capacities of the engine oil is the same. Your 121 should treat you well as long as the owner before you performed the regular maintenance on it. Good luck!
Thanks for that info. I did find my owners manual in a storage compartment. I'm impressed with all the servicing information that's in the owners manual. It seems like new vehicles now don't give any type of servicing procedure information in the owners manual any more, have to buy the service manual for even an oil change procedure it seems.
TAGS, Have you found a source for reasonably priced oil filters or just pay the dealer premium when needing one? When I got my Rotella oil the other day from Walmart I noticed that they had started carrying a line of filters branded with the Rotella name, I'm curious who is making the filter for them. I've tried cross referencing the HH151-32430 Kubota # but without any luck. I was hoping to find a reference for a Wix or Fleetguard.
I have two kx-121's. Both are quick attach so my buckets and attachments I have made will work on them. Best investment I have made. Angle blade and thumbs are a great help. I buy my filters on ebay sometimes. Kubota just replaced it with the new kx-040.
Not sure if it's the same but my skid steer with a Kubota uses the same filter as a common Ford Filer. I use a Baldwin B2. Baldwin should have a listing for your machine online.
Thanks for the response guys. I did buy an oil filter off Ebay that was from a place that appears to sell aftermarket Kubota replacement parts. I pulled the oil filter from the box and the sealed plastic it was in then noticed the face of the filter had lots of white paint over spray, even some evidence of it inside the filter. The perforated metal supporting the filter media inside had a good portion of rust covering it so after seeing this I'm not putting that thing on my new to me machine. I've ordered many non-screw on filters off Ebay for ATVs and got decent looking stuff but I was certainly turned off by this filter. I'll just swing by the Kubota stealership and pick one up this time and may cut the old one open and inspect it's by-pass spring pressure and take measurements to see what I can cross over to for future use.