Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I just saved Ol Faithfull for the 3rd time

Vetech63 · 2022-10-19 08:27

My woman just doesn't understand. To her it's a rag, long past its time. This is the 3rd time I saved it from the trash can. Sneaky woman even tries to hide it from me and has ALMOST succeeded. Sneaky woman BAD. We have suffered together for years, through the cold, the heat, the blood and sweat. We have rolled under and over many pieces of equipment together, we have had many a discussion over the years. We have smiled, cried, been happy, and sad..............the both of us........TOGETHER. Woman, you will never understand what WE have been through together and she can NEVER be replaced! Please!...........leave her alone! Do you have an Ol Faithfull?

Replies39
  1. #1aighead2022-10-19 08:38

    I'm currently wearing a decent button-up short sleeved shirt that I have a picture of me and my dad where I'm wearing the same shirt, from the mid 1990's. It's not quite as holey as yours but it's getting close. I considered considering retiring it this morning as I put it on. The wife hasn't tried throwing it out yet but my clothes are about the only thing she won't, everything else has been fairish game until I yelled at her about it. Now I just can't find anything.

  2. #292U 34062022-10-19 08:51

    Yep! Brown Carhartt hoodie I bought 9 years ago. Worn it under my coveralls just about every cold day that I'm working outside.

  3. #3crane operator2022-10-19 08:54

    Wife got my good flannel shirt a couple years ago. It was down to lining in a lot of places, but still wearable. I had been hiding it, but accidently it ended up back at the house. It was the "you can't be walking around in rags" speech. She (of course) hid the knowledge that she had removed the shirt from our abode, until I went looking for it on a cool day. I still miss it.

  4. #477Ford2022-10-19 09:04

    It's my boots, they are beat to pieces and now starting to open a small hole in the toe. The soles are cracked and pieces are coming off, she wants to replace them. I told her I was gonna pop some duct tape on the hole so it wouldnt get bigger and she threaten to burn them if I did. She's not gonna walk around with a guy with duct tape on his boots.... I'm getting in a tight spot. Boots or wife of 33 years....

  5. #556wrench2022-10-19 09:13

    Ya, i have some stuff that is just real comfortable but my wife sees it as worn out once it gets one spot that shows signs of fraying

  6. #6_Weldman_2022-10-19 09:15

    Wife and I are the same, we both have clothes like that and both won't toss them, but do have some for in town. She wears clothes she has since she was about 12, she is 36 now and hasn't gotten any bigger since then and can't really get any smaller 104 lbs. We both peaked in our teens on weight, me at 41 years old 124 lbs. I'm such a lucky man

  7. #7mekanik2022-10-19 09:32

    I recently did a repair on my old friend and companion my green Carhartt pants. I bought them over 20 years ago when the were made in the USA. The button hole above the zipper was badly frayed and the button was pulling out of the fraying material on the other side. It took some machining my Janome HD3000 sewing machine was barley able to stitch the denim on the back of the button hole. I think there are eight layers of duck in spots. Hopefully I get another twenty plus years out of them.

  8. #8stinky642022-10-19 09:57

    The advantage of being a bachelor (yes I've tried to cohabitate with several of the fairer sex, but apparently I'm an insensitive prick. ) is nobody throws your stuff out. I've got a Moosehead Beer t-shirt from 1988 that is so threadbare you can see the ink on my back as clear as day, but those thin shirts are awesome for the hot weather where shirts are mandatory.

  9. #9treemuncher2022-10-19 10:43

    When I wear mine down to the steel toes, a good, thick coating of epoxy keeps 'em going like an energizer battery. I does not stand out as bad as duct tape and it is weatherproof. Paracord also makes the best replacement laces - it's cheaper and longer lasting.

  10. #10ianjoub2022-10-19 12:00

    Next time your wives speak of getting rid of worn out old threadbare things point out some of their personal flaws and raise your eyebrows!

  11. #11673moto2022-10-19 13:55

    I see you like to live dangerously!

  12. #12stinky642022-10-19 16:41

    Yeah then cover your nuts.

  13. #13Mike L2022-10-19 16:54

    My wife is always trying to throw out my well worn, broken in, ventilated skivvies. Just about the time they get comfortable they go missing!

  14. #14Vetech632022-10-19 18:28

    No way............I enjoy living.

  15. #1592U 34062022-10-19 19:11

    No wife, happy life

  16. #16Cmark2022-10-19 19:16

    When my daughter was little she would sit on my lap and ask the names of the characters on my south park tshirt. This week my granddaughter did the same.

  17. #17CM19952022-10-19 19:23

    Wife and I (after many, many years of heated argument) come to the understanding that I have some old worn out **** that she is not to touch or dare throw out. Now I will admit she has "helped" me get over my hoarding of old worn out T-shirts, boxer shorts and soulless work boots... However when she buys new blue jeans they already have holes in them...

  18. #18Zewnten2022-10-19 20:18

    Carried around a pair of winter work boots through 3 plus moves over 6 years. Finally chucked them this spring as I hadn't worn them once in that time, doesn't get cold enough down here. Boy were they comfortable, big toe box with lots of insulation so I never felt the steel toe. Don't know what the sole was made from but even on hydraulic oil I couldn't slip.

  19. #19Mike L2022-10-19 20:53

    My rule of thumb is that if I haven’t used it in 3 years it’s time to chuck it. Before the move to Texas we did multiple trips to the dump every Saturday. But stuff I use? You just leave that alone, woman.

  20. #20Bumpsteer2022-10-19 22:22

    Loml bitches about my "summer" t-shirts (rags).....I only wear them to soak up sweat.....at the point in my life where I don't care how I look or what someone thinks about it. That said, amazon did deliver 2 new pair of wranglers today, lol. Ed

  21. #21suladas2022-10-20 00:32

    They just don't understand, the old worn out clothes are WAY more comfortable then the new ones. I keep clothes until they are torn to shreds for work, I get told I look like a bum with some of them, but who cares?

  22. #22Coaldust2022-10-20 01:12

    This old Bulwark Arctic FR jacket. Multiple patches & repairs over the years. I have a couple of new replacements, but it takes a decade to break a new one in. It’s probably not FR anymore.

  23. #23aighead2022-10-20 06:20

    Even though I gripe about it, my wife, when we moved in together, from our own houses, helped immensely at encouraging me to rid myself of the shackles of stuff I had stored in the attic, but never did anything with. Clothes were never one of those things. Now, I have a dresser full of clothes I haven't seen in 6 years. Not sure why it's there other than it's in a room I don't really use and it's not in the way.

  24. #24Vetech632022-10-20 07:35

    I've never been known for my clothes and style. I buy the cheapest clothing for work that I can find within reason.......usually at Walmart. I don't see any sense in buying better quality clothing that will just end up torn and filthy, pretty much ruined in a short time. My woman has met me out during a workday for lunch, or maybe I got finished early so we may go to the casino for a bit. At first it bothered her that she was all dressed to the 9's and I was in filthy work clothes, but I don't give a dam what others think. Now, she just pretends she don't know me when we are out in public................whatever woman

  25. #25treemuncher2022-10-20 08:24

    I'm on the cheap ride, too. Rural King jeans are still $9.99. I purchase a dozen or more pair at a time knowing full well that every pair will go from presentable to oil stained/shredded in a matter of months. Jeans and moisture wicking Walmart shirts fill in my side of the closet. Now the wife, on the other hand, has taken over a full 10' x 20' room with nothing but her clothing. She refuses to wear the same outfit twice in a school year.

  26. #26aighead2022-10-20 08:25

    I'm not smart or rich enough to be one of those guys that looks like an unsuspecting hobo but is either wicked rich or wicked smart (or both) but I aspire to be. I always love the stories of the homeless looking guy that goes into the Porsche dealership to buy a new 911 with cash but they turn him away.

  27. #27AllDodge2022-10-20 08:30

    The wife is a quilter so she sews up anything I want to have fixed and turns some of the other old stuff into a quilt, all good

  28. #28Old Doug2022-10-20 10:09

    What till you get old and your feet are worn out old boots dont look so good. I dont care what i look like or my stuff looks like as long as it gets the job done but my feet fill better in boots that are less than a year old.

  29. #29John C.2022-10-20 11:23

    I've always worn coveralls when I worked for other people. It wasn't so hard on my clothes that way. Many times I've had people not recognize me on a day off when I'm not wearing coveralls. The cotton pocket T shirts are like a uniform for most all the mechanics I've known. The other common work shirt in the woods is the hickory or herring bone pattern shirt. I've worn those until the collars looked like gauze and the sleeves were torn off at the elbows.

  30. #30DDoug2022-10-20 16:46
  31. #31Vetech632022-10-20 18:47

    Nice! I love the different shades of brown

  32. #32Welder Dave2022-10-20 23:23

    Maybe the oil makes the coat waterproof.

  33. #33DDoug2022-10-21 07:00

    You doo know who that is ? Nige I would think, would recognize him.

  34. #34suladas2022-10-21 18:58

    I buy shirts and jeans from costco i'm really hard on my clothes and they are cheap, where I spend the money is on good boots and winter clothes. I don't care how much they cost, it's worth it to be warm in the winter and have comfortable feet.

  35. #35suladas2022-10-21 18:59

    That jacket looks almost brand new.

  36. #36Coaldust2022-10-21 19:01

    Lol. It’s getting bad. Safety guy told me to toss it or take it home.

  37. #37suladas2022-10-21 19:44

    Here’s mine. I bought a new one last winter to be more presentable for some jobs but I still prefer wearing the old one, it’s way more comfortable.

  38. #3892U 34062022-10-21 19:52

    Bought this almost exactly 9 years ago. I have a newer one that will be added into work rotation in another year or 2.

  39. #39joe--h2022-10-29 13:52