Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I’m not sure if it would work….

hundanth ยท 2009-09-08 16:48

I'm fairly new to making dio's and was wondering, to make the cement for one could I use clay powder and some really fine gravel? Thanks Hunter

Replies1
  1. #1Diggedirt2009-09-08 21:26

    Some things to try... Hunter, I would suggest you do some tests with plaster of paris or wall plaster. Both should be available at your local home center or hardware shop. Each one will set up just as hard as concrete (because they have cement products in them). You could add small aggregate or sand to get a properly scaled representation. You will need to add some type of color to the plaster or paint the finished product because plaster is usually white in color. I have found that a thick grey paint brushed on looks similar to broomed concrete. When you mix up the plaster it will be pourable for a short time then it will start to "set" when it starts to get firm there will be a short time when you can smooth it out before it gets completely hard. The downside is that plaster is not flexible so the base will need to be sturdy to keep it from breaking. I think the last time I bought plaster it was 4-5 dollars per 25 lb bag so you would have plenty to practice with without breaking the bank. Good luck what ever you choose to do.