Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I’m obviously getting older……..

54j ยท 2017-02-18 19:57

Old d5 (54j) I want to pull the final drive housing to look at bearings/bull gear etc. How the bloody hell do I pull the bearing cage assembly on the outside of the sprocket. After I've removed the assembly that holds the track frame to the FD housing....the thing you preload/adjust the bearings. I've done it several times before and I'm sure it wasn't a press off job....what am I missing here and am I getting too old to play with dozers?

Replies3
  1. #1Metalman 552017-02-18 20:55

    When we went to take our D4D sprocket off a couple of years ago, one of the members said to turn that preload nut out away from the sprocket up against that outer solid block real tight, then hit the block a few sharp cracks with a sledge hammer to loosen it. We did what was suggested & it came off ok without a puller.

  2. #254j2017-02-18 23:03

    thanks mate....got it.

  3. #3Hobbytime2017-02-18 23:37

    your never too old to play with big toys, the day you stop is the day you become too old...