I was thinking with how quiet the new grader is, it would be nice to have a radio in it. It has AC on the ceiling of the cab which I doubt works but that's not a big deal. When I parked it yesterday I happened to look up at the right side of the ceiling and low and behold there is a radio. It's just AM which sucks a little but it works. It was a little chilly yesterday and I noticed the grader is even quieter with the doors closed so I should be able to listen to the radio without having to crank the volume unlike the dump truck that is just too noisy.
You still have AM radio up there? Seems like few and far between unless you like "Praise the Lord" or other talk radio around here. For tunes while mowing or running chainsaw or splitter I have a good pair of hearing protection muffs that I put in the speakers of a cheap set of head phones from an old cassette player. Then I bought a simple MP3 player and an expansion card to it and saved something over 1,000 songs of it most downloaded for free and some copied from CD's. I can mow for hours and never hear the same song twice.
Still a few down around here too!!
The only way I know the radio in my 1996 Dodge works is the damned thing is blasting after someone else drives it. Been that way since I purchased the truck new.
Had to ask Wife as she still listens to AM for Ball games when not televised, Listens to KMOX 1120. Used to be a Clear Channel that boosted power late at night, could listen to that crossing WY back in the day driving Late at night off Skip.
CBC AM radio. For the overly educated, and unemployed
Almost Retired too!!
Late night-AM skip-and super power is what made Wolfman Jack.
Back in the late 1940's before I was even born dad spent some time working at the local city bus garage here in Central NY. He mentioned that they would listen to a radio station from Chicago at night and if the weather reports mentioned it was raining in Chicago they would not bother washing the buses as it was likely it would rain here the next day.
Was noted LONG Time Back, KMOX would drop to 20kW daytime(IIRC) may have been 10kw and push up to 50kW at night, DON'T Quote a non radio type!!!
It was most likely the Night Meister Brau Showcase on WGN. It was very powerful AM radio station. I listened to it quite a bit.
Advent of better FM stations had to have played on AM
As a very young kid, I asked my older brother, “What does FM stand for.??” With a VERY straight face, he said. “FKN MAGIC”.!!!! I believed that for YEARS.!!! He used the same explanation for Automatic door openers at the grocery store.. He had a very elaborate explanation.. TOTALLY believable.!!! (LOL)
AM 740 if in the east. I listen to am 760 in Deetroit everyday for Mitch Albom (ay 5:00 pm) Pick up am 650 WSM 1 hour after sunset to hear the Grand old Opry.
There's a box in the shed at my mother's . It has an am radio out of one of my father's old cars, and there is also an am, 8 track radio. Probably Ford, as that is all he ever owned. There was also the lone 8 track player that bolted up under the dash.
This talk of old radio reminded me of some old radio sets we had as a teen. Dad did odd jobs cleaning out basements and attics for people and brought home some old radios one time. I'm talking about the ones with tubes the size of soda bottles! Recall one that besides AM it had shortwave and with only a bit of wire for an antenna you could pull in all kinds of stations. BBC at night would be as clear as any local AM station. Not sure of most of the stations as did not understand the languages they were speaking! I also have an old 1940's radio/record player that was my grandmothers but it only makes strange sounds when powered up. From what I've read the biggest problem with those old sets is the capacitors go bad after many years and need to be changed. I keep thinking I might give it a try some day but my soldering skills are not the best. Then again it don't work no so what's the worst I can do? I do know that most of these old sets the chassis was part of the electrical system. So with the common ungrounded plugs depending on how it was plugged in it could be "hot" so best to not touch anything metal with set plugged in and turned on!
Run that antenna wire to bed springs, made a great antenna.
Used to listen to "Old Uncle Lar" on broadcast from WLS out of Chicago. His "Animal stories" were worth waiting for. Lot's of laughter listening to him and it didn't cost anything. https://abc7chicago.com/archive/9365876/
We used to listen to the Jamboree on Saturday nights on WWVA in Wheeling, W VA. Came in here clear as any local station. 1170 AM. Clear channel 50 thousand watts at night. Country Crossroads came on afterwards. Gave me a lifelong love of gospel music. And then the “coffee drinking nighthawk” Lee Moore later on in the night.
I don't listen to much radio, too much advertising these days. Even satellite radio sucks. It was over $300/year and I'd STILL have to listen to advertising blocks every 15 minutes.
Yep, I wish the AM and FM stations in this area would get the same dam transmitting aerial that the French radio stations use, its the only station that comes in clear anywhere, had to go with Sat radio, love the country classics
How about your thoughts on TV ? The programming is terrible now. Even further back, family didn't watch much TV. Our TV was broken. SO, I did a lot of reading. Years later I found out Mother took a tube out of the TV so we would read more. Grand children watch TV for hours. (can't say anything to their parents without it taken as criticism. ) I attribute the rise of ADD to TV the kids watch. They can't focus on anything because they've become accustomed to the cartoons changing scene so quickly.
I'm on team no TV and no internet. I just use the data on my phone. I got tired of paying for cable/satellite and never finding anything worth watching. Same with internet. I'm on one or 2 other forums and that's about it. Not worth paying what they charge for internet just for that.
Polkas the vein of my existence as a kid hanging out with pap polkas rap and new country music what a joke.
Cell phone rates are ridiculous in Canada among other things.
LOL, Your mom was smart, back in my day my mother couldn't keep us in the house, we were always doing something outside, rarely watched TV, that's the problem with kids today, getting to much info, they can't think for themselves, they need their phones to think.
I've been watching Carol Burnett and Archie Bunker reruns on Youtube.