Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I need a help

badr ยท 2014-08-25 21:47

how are you all I have a genarator 3412 with 810kva power and I did not find this piston 197-9314 & 163-0930 in all dealers her .so can we replace with other piston ? pls give me your experience & model number if possible. thanks

Replies4
  1. #1td25c2014-08-25 22:37

    Used to be a company called Jahns Pistons that specialized in performance engines but would also tool up & build a piston for any type of engine . Cant seem to find them now but wonder if www.jepistons.com/AboutUs.aspx is a spin off of the old company ? My old employer had Jahns build a set of pistons on a farm tractor we were rebuilding . Old Minneapolis Moline G 1050 . They worked fine .

  2. #2Nige2014-08-26 07:24

    This is a 2-piece piston. Do you have an engine Serial Number..? The parts are showing in my system as being available, but what local availability is in S. Africa I have no idea. Are you replacing 1 piston or all 12 and why..? This could be important for engine balance issues if the piston part number was changed in only one cylinder. Changing pistons may also require a change of piston cooling jet, just so you know. Have you tried for availability of 10R-1441 Cylinder Pack..? That is a complete liner, piston, & connecting rod assembly for one cylinder ready to slot into the engine.

  3. #3badr2014-08-26 15:42

    thank's for answering me s.n-1EZ06772 ar.n-148-3588 I hope to find other piston number can be relaced because the problem in 12 piston's they are little lose with connecting rod. thank all of you

  4. #4Nige2014-08-26 16:16

    According to me your specific engine Serial Number should have piston crown 123-4612 and skirt 163-0930. That is a 13:1 compression ratio piston set-up which is the lowest you can get, probably designed to run on poor fuel. It also tells me the set was sold with Spanish decals on it. I wonder where it went originally..? For that combination of crown & skirt Part Number the correct Reman Cylinder pack is Part Number 10R-4400. My system is showing 12 pieces of that Part Number available in "Africa" - by that I assume Cat Regional Parts Warehouse in Boksburg SA. Check the Part Number of your piston cooling jets, they should be 163-0926. Failure to use the correct cooling jet could result in accelerated wear and possibly premature piston failure. There are a dozen different piston combinations for that engine and every one uses a different Part Number of piston cooling jet. When you say "loose with the connecting rod", does that mean the problem could be also in the bushing at the top end of the rod..? I hope you're aware that replacing the pistons will not cure that fault ......so your best fix would be a Cylinder Pack because it will come with connecting rods and all the bearings.