Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I need a title for a truck is your state a “non-title”state ?

powerjoke ยท 2014-01-25 17:39

I have an opprotunity to buy a truck at a extremely reduced rate from a storage yard that has a several year storage bill against it...... basically pay part of the storage bill and I can have the truck, the problem is that it comes with a bill of sale only the deal is legit, i have ran the VIN and it shows no lein holders nor does it come up on the MSHP "hot sheet" the place that has it is a self sotrage yard and has no experiance with filing for titles etc. they have sent the owners a notice of abandonment and have done all the proper steps all except for obtaining a title, the guy told me that he has no desire to see the obligation through and if he did that he would get a lot more for the truck, basically he wants it out of his hair and to collect some money one way or another as soon as possible. In MO you can file for an abandoned title IF the vehicle is over 25yrs old, the problem is that the truck is a '92 so we have a few more years before i can do that. so does anyone know of any other way around this? supposedly there are some states that can issue a title if certain criteria are met and this falls in that criteria hopefully the truck is a tri axle aeromax heavy spec with walking beam/ double frame etc. with a 3176 (no core value at all) and a RTX1259 ( very little core value) however it does have a nice dump body and a great body/hood etc. the truck only has 200k miles and has been at his lot since '96. the truck checks out 100% mechanically in every aspect with the exception of the tires being old as dirt. I could part the truck out and get my money back but i am not in the component business so i have little desire to do that just to get my money back, if i could double my money it would be a different story. I could always use it as a site truck and never let it hit the highway but junk old site trucks are very easy to come by. pj

Replies12
  1. #1CM19952014-01-25 17:46

    In Alabama I would never be able to get a title for it.

  2. #2Axle2014-01-25 18:24

    Pay the storage guy to follow up on getting the title, or see if you can be a temporary storage yard employee to do the final footwork. He has taken care of the lengthiest part of the process, all that needs to be done now is getting the title. After you get that he can sell and sign it over to you. Lot less work than trying to do an out of state title wash--if you can still find a state that will do so. Otherwise, you'll need to play storage yard guy, and start the process over from step 1. Alex.

  3. #3Old Doug2014-01-25 20:06

    I did fix up alot of rigs and spent some time finding out about geting titles.If you can find some one at a DMV that will work with you its not all that hard.I was told step by step how to do it by a guy that worked at one. The way he acted when he told me was like he was telling me things that i shouldnt know but i never did it and dont remember every thing that he said. I was all so told a way you could get a title by a lawyer but it cost 400.00. I dont know what the truck is worth as a driver or what it is worth for parts but i do know it would take some doing to get a title and your time is worth something.I dont think its legal to buy with out a title. I dont know if you could use it as a site truck.

  4. #4hvy 1ton2014-01-25 23:45

    I know that in Kansas a vehicle hasn't been registered in 10 years you can get a title for it. I don't think it even requires a bill of sale. I think the storage yard has the best chance of getting a title for it. If you have any friends that do towing in Mo ask them how they get titles for impounded cars. Storage yard should be able to do the same.

  5. #5powerjoke2014-01-26 00:44

    That's the post i was looking for and thats actually what i had heard i just wasnt sure. does the origional title have to be from kansas or can you just have someone that lives in kansas apply ? pj

  6. #6mitch5042014-01-26 00:55

    In SC all I have to do is go to the magistrate with a storage or repair bill basically. There is a form to fill out, and you have to give the registered owner a certain amount of days to pay the bill, but it's easy. I am sure you have to be a SC business, though.

  7. #7jowmore2014-01-26 07:12

    in N.H. anything 12 years or older only needs a bill of sale,no title. the title comes about a month after and then stays with the vehicle.

  8. #8overworked2014-01-26 08:01

    I bought one that way, bill of sale from storage yard, when all said and done all I had was a parts truck. needed previous owner to sign over title, that was many years ago.

  9. #9oceanobob2014-01-26 08:43

    The process in these parts is known as a mechanics lien sale, there is a form to file and some certified letters to send, then once the process is completed, that person has the title from whence it can be sold. Here is the link to the process we hear about all the time (notice it is for values less than $4k) http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr7.htm

  10. #10kshansen2014-01-26 09:26

    jowmore, A little bit of a Hi-jack here, sorry if off limits. Is this the same for a motorcycle? Does the vehicle have to be seen by anyone? Vehicle in question is a 1977 and we have been unable to contact the person who had the last known title.

  11. #11Old Doug2014-01-26 10:04

    I talked to a buddy that runs wreckers last night he said you send a certified letter to the owner and then you get a form from the dmv and they give you a salvage title. Then you have the HP look at it then you will get a title but it will be a salvage title which is useable but if you dont already know this it will hert its value. I was told on a rig that you didnt know the orignal owner to send the certified letter to a buddy and tell him no to acepet it. I dont know why this wouldnt also work on a motorcycle

  12. #12old-iron-habit2014-01-26 10:21

    Go to DMV and do a lost title search. If they can find the owner, send a certified letter telling them to pay the bill(which you bought off and own) or sign off on the title. Chances are they will be happy to be out from the liability of it. If the DMV records do not go back far enough to find the title owner, a new title should be easy. I did this with a motorcycle in MN that had not been licensed for 7 years. It was not a salvage title because it had not been in a wreck. I did have to have DMV check serial numbers. Good luck.