I need help pricing and selling our dozer. We paid $17,000 and would like to get that for it. We've had it listed in Craigslist for a while with very little response. I'm not sure what the real value of it is and where/how to sell it. We had a mechanic check it out when we got it. He said it was a great dozer. We've had different people replace some parts and do tune ups, and they always say it is a great dozer. We don't use the dozer like we planned, so we'd like to sell it. Any suggestions on price and how/where to sell it? Here are the specs on it: 2003 Dressta TD-8H DD 3600 hours 65% undercarriage Std. Angle Dozer 17” track Shoes Rear Screen – A042 Front Sweeps Roller Guards Forestry Exhaust pipe Vandalism protection Rippers
Might get a few pictures of the TD8H & post in the "equipment for sale "section on the HEF forum. I usually surf machinery trader to see what people are asking for equipment. That sounds like a nice dozer. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1026&Manu=DRESSER&Mdltxt=TD8H&mdlx=exact
To start with, craigslist is not a real good place to advertise your machine. Many if not most people will look in pay type listings such as local newspapers, Equipmentrader, MyLittleSalesman, MachineryTrader and so on. Your description could also use a little work as well. The dozer is call a PAT dozer or Power, Angle, Tilt. Another way to describe it is a 6 way blade or dozer. You haven't defined what 65% undercarriage is either. Is that 65% worn or 35% worn? By the way, how did you come up with that figure? Was it measured by someone that has the specifications or is it a guess? Is this the first undercarriage or is it original? Will you provide photos if requested? Average auction on MachineryTrader is $23,000 so unless the machine is beat up or the undercarriage is actually worn out or some other condition factor is bad, your price should work. Good Luck!
Stay persistent on the craigslist ad too. It only takes one person to be interested... and they might start looking tomorrow! It took me a month or two to sell my Bobcat.. was about to give up... guy called and came and bought it in one day. Of course, like you're doing, it helps to have priced right... whatever that is.
Would you happen to have any pics on that machine? I would love to check it out. Thanks,
The undercarraige has about 65% left in it as estimated by the person we bought it from and the mechanics we have had do the tune ups and repairs. I just listed it on Machinery Trader and will get it listed on the other suggested sites. I really appreciated it! I didn't realize this forum had a for-sale section, so I'll list it there too. After looking at the average price on Machinery Trader, it looks like we may have it under priced. I have lots of pics and can put on YouTube if needed too. I thought I knew how to insert pics but apparently not. Click on the links below to see the pics.
One of the best "true price" selling sites these days is Iron Planet.com You have to be willing to sell at a No Reserve price although I can tell you that machines will bring nearly every dollar that the market will bear. I can tell you that the cat class for Dozers has been fairly weak over the last 4 months or so in comparison to other classes (excavators have picked up 15-20% for example). Craigslist is generally a poor place to sell a dozer but every site you list it on helps to put out the word. Best of luck!
Sounds like a great machine mate, if it is any help to you i seen a dozer very similar to yours only it had 4500 hours. They were asking for $28,500 australian for it and as far as i know they sold it. The only other thing was it had an air conditioned cab on it.
I'd consider doing an auction, but the only online auctions I'm familiar with are eBay and Uship. How would it work auctioning off this dozer. Which auction is the best for that? If I set the minimum bid at 17K with no reserve would that work? I don't know . . . I'm not in hurry to sell it, so maybe I should just try listing it for a while first. What are y'all's thoughts?
A minimum bid is a reserve. Auctions work for machines that have already paid for themselves and will cost money to keep around. In other words you take the risk of a below market selling price because keeping the machine will cost you in repairs, maintenance or financed payments with no income. It may take some time to sell on your own but it is usually worth it if you want to do some of the work yourself. Good Luck!