Any advise where I can buy a used or rebuild CAT engine (3306) for a motor-grader (140G)
I may be able to help you. What is the status of your engine?
What is wrong with your engine? Those 3306 engines are pretty easy to overhaul if no major parts are bad. To help anyone who may have a lead on an engine a full S/N of your engine would be very helpful, there have been a few variations on the 3306 over the years.
The early 140G had a PC engine and in 1980 went to DI. I have both at my ranch that I don't need. Just need to know if you need a short block, long block, or complete engine takeout from a 140G. What happened to your engine?
Thanks. Engine was rebuild but still had a knocking sound and the engine was dropped down again. Now I am told the crankshaft is dead. I don't know if it's a long or short block. I will find out from my mechanic and get back to you. However the serial number is 72V04667 and manufactured in 1983.
Thanks. The engine seized, and could not re-start. The mechanic told me the engine wasn't turning and we dropped down the engine, changed metals and filter. Engine was rebuild and run for about 8 hours and had a knocking sound and the engine was dropped down again. Now I am told the crankshaft is dead. The serial number is 72V04667 and manufactured in 1983
The terms "long/short block" usually would refer to whether the replacement come with a head and maybe other components like flywheel housing and front cover. I'm sure just about every one has a different definition of what would be included in a "long block". Sounds like who ever supposedly "rebuilt" only did half the job and did not either properly clean or inspect the damage. It's something of the "pay me now/pay me latter" thing. But a seized engine would demand a total tear down and all oil galleys scrubbed clean including the oil drillings in the crank. Then all bearing surfaces would need to be inspected and measured to be sure they were still in spec. Hard to believe an engine would seize and not at the very least need the crank polished, more likely ground to take under size bearings. Almost forgot to add the engine oil cooler would need to be replaced, not cleaned.
I saw a fancy magazine ad for CTP (Costex Tractor Parts) offering a wide range of 3306 long blocks, you might want to give them a call.
What would that cost? I broke a crank on a 3406 in a highway truck back in 89, they replaced everything but the heads, and outside covers, and it was around 33 thousand to do. Mind you Cat did the work, so a big chunk of that would be labour, and shop costs but I wouldn't want to see the bill today.