I put a down payment on a volvo EC210 picking it up this Friday . It has about 6500hrs. It has a quick coupler . looking for a Pin on hydraulic thumb would like Progressive but I’m open to any hydraulic one. I live in Oregon 97801
I recently put an AIM hydro thumb on for a customer. Seemed well built. Ran it off aux circuit works good. Has spherical bearings on cylinder and rod ends. Their sales staff worked with the customer directly and shipped directly to him . No need to go to a dealer. All you gotta do is follow super simple instructions. This one shown is on an EC210C , which is what you got, iirc.
Plenty of names in the Northwest and they have been coming into and out of business for years. PSM, HPF, Destec, Wedge Lock just to name a few. Talk to a dealer service department like you are going to have them do the install and they will give you plenty of names. We did away with any units welded to the stick, like what is in the photo, more than 25 years ago. All here are mounted to the main pin with the bucket. What we experienced was the place of the mounting bracket and the total weld around it will crack the stick in a short amount of time.
I have a pin on one that is mounted to my Kobelco, similar to the one in the picture, any other time I've gotten a thumb it has been a main pin thumb, and I feel that a main pin thumb is much nicer than the stick mounted one as far as rotation and ability to grab things, plus you don't need to weld to the stick except for the top mount bracket for the cylinder.
For pin-on, I would look at werk-brau. They have a good selection. We sold and installed with previous dealership. I'm just not a big fan of single pin with multiple shear planes. Lots of individual grease points. It's a preference thing. I can tell you that they stand behind their products and are built stout. Good luck in whatever you choose.
I got one that goes on main pin at RB's it's a offbrand and decent quality, it was less then half of what dealer wanted for name brand, came with everything but hoses. Worth considering for a older machine especially if you don't use thumb a lot. I couldn't justify $10k+ thumb not including install on a $60k machine, think I paid about $4,200. The only very important thing to consider is make sure since the Volvo pin is floating that the thumb pin is too, the pin cannot turn with the thumb. I made that mistake, mine turned with the thumb not ~200 hours and it wore out the coupler bores and groves into the main pin, about a $2k mistake. To be safe I had the coupler tapped for grease on both sides when I got it fixed. Other then that worked great, though I haven't put it back on since fixing coupler. It's handy for demos, but it's also nice not having one on for dirt work.
Yea I’ve been looking at used ones and seeing if I could Retrofit so thank you very much for the information about the floating pin
Most 200's use the same diameter pin, you just need to make sure overall length will work, may have to modify end caps a bit. Other then that nothing special to them. I put one on my Deere 225 before and everything was exactly the same as the Volvo.
Looking at getting a Strickland thumb any one have one ?
Also looking at a tag thumb can they be made to have a floating main pin on the install or is it when It’s manufactured
I have a Strickland main pin thumb on a Case 210 and I love it. Strickland has acquired ACS Industries so the new thumbs are a bit of a hybrid design. Ours is 5 tines and cost around $7000 before install.
I have had there main pin thumb for 10 yrs. Very strong unit. I do a lot of demo and big trees and it has been very reliable. The curved teeth are the way to go. I would get this brand again. solesbees.com/