Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I paste waxed my hydraulic cylinders.

emmett518 ยท 2021-09-18 13:03

i read a post here, that expressed concern that not using a piece of heavy equipment might cause the pistons in the hydraulic cylinders to rust, and start to leak. Just for grins, I put a coat of automotive paste wax on the pistons, and when it dried to a haze, buffed it off. I am guessing the coating will protect the finish, and it repels water like crazy. And it's fast and easy to complete.

Replies3
  1. #156wrench2021-09-18 15:22

    Don't you mean the rods? I just spray them with a coat of fluid film and wipe them off before the next use if the machine will be sitting for an extended period

  2. #2Coaldust2021-09-18 15:43

    Emmett, So, just to be clear, you are telling us that you waxed your rod?

  3. #3emmett5182021-09-18 18:34

    Heh heh. Hey Beavis. He said rod. Heh heh.